Thread: Scale Length and Chording Difficulty?

Default Scale Length and Chording Difficulty?

Hi! I'm a fairly new ukulele player (6 months) and started on a tenor (17"). I've decided I'd really like a bigger instrument so had been looking at baritones (19-20" scale length). I tried a few and decided they wouldn't be too much of a stretch for most of the chords I know.

However, in looking at baritones I came across the Pono Nui models which are really big baritones with 23" scales. I haven't been able to try one out in person so I'm wondering what the general consensus is on if that's too long of a scale to easily play common chords on?

I probably have small-medium hands for a guy, but I've seen kids playing full-sized guitars with 25" scales, so I know it must be possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

-Brett

Play a classical guitar and see how you do.
    Peace,

Brad Bordessa
    Webmaster of Live 'Ukulele.com
    Admin for The Ukulele Way

My original folk rock album, If Only, is available now!
    'Ukulele Chord Shapes - 55 pages of all the chords and know-how you'll ever need to stay found on the fretboard.

I first bought a tenor, then a soprano, but ended up learning on concert scales.
    After a while, I could play the tenor scale as well, so thought I'd try a baritone, I really love the sound/tone of my cedar top bari, but I just find the scale too big, for me.
    My mainstays are now tenor & concert scales, you may be different, but it will be a stretch.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

As you say, many with small/medium hands excel playing 6 steel strings on a 25.4" scale, so 4 nylon strings on a 23" scale will be just a matter of getting used to it. I think you'll be fine should you choose that route.

Thread Information