Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loosening the strings everytime

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    I don't pretend to know the answer either way but look at it this way. Say that you play that uke all of the time. So the uke is OK under that tension if you are playing it all the time but it's not OK under that very same tension if you are not playing it? What difference does playing it have on the tension that makes it OK whereas not playing it under the same tension makes it detrimental?
    That's an extremely good point. Very "Zen" too.

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    But we know there are some ukuleles have neck lift, sound board distortion and broken bridge. They are made by constant string tension. If you remove the tension, how can the neck lift, the soundboard distortion, or the bridge break? It can't.
    That's my point. No tension, no stress, no breakage.

I think the general consensus is that I am worrying too much.
    Tenor:
    Mya Moe Classic Koa #2052 (Low G)

Concert:
    Loprinzi Nova MS-C Mahogany/Spruce, , Knaile'a KPA C Premium Koa (CGDA), Kiwaya KMC-K Koa, Pono RC-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood (Low G), Kala Waterman KA CWB Green

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:
    Lanikai LU-21 Laminate Mahogany (My Very First Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary Koa (Low G), Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire" Koa, Ohana SK 50G Cedar/Rosewood, Kala KA ASAC-S Acacia

I have not de-tuned a guitar or ukulele if it is not going to be played for a while. I will de-tune if the instrument is being shipped.

I recall either here or on a guitar forum that a stringed acoustic instrument begins a process of imploding from the day they are made; although its demise is probably many decades down the road. A great amount of stress occurs when bending the wood into shape. String tension, use, the environment all play a role in expanding and contracting the wood. If I had a vintage ukulele that I prized and I knew it would be sitting in a case for at least 6 months, I'd first make sure the humidity was maintained and also back off on the strings a bit.

It is more about preservation and less about maintaining the same level as if it were used.

John

I don't think it is very convenient.
    That "memory" thing that was mentioned, it is because the pull in free string part and around the tuning peg part is different, it varies in the latter because of friction.
    After you retune an uke it usually takes a considerable play time until it stays in tune long time.

Initially there is with new string the creep of plastic strings and in that helps a lot if when not playing tuning the strings a semitone up, to counter that "memory" feature.

So I would get a another uke if using other tunings than C6, because retuning stability bugs me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I have not de-tuned a guitar or ukulele if it is not going to be played for a while. I will de-tune if the instrument is being shipped.

It is more about preservation and less about maintaining the same level as if it were used.

John
    I loosen them when I travel by air because I check my uke in my luggage and it gets cold in there. My eighth grade level science tells me that the strings contract when they get cold. I don't know if that is true and if they contract enough to cause any problems, but I do it anyway.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Thread Information