Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soprano/ Concert with wider neck/ nut?

Default Soprano/ Concert with wider neck/ nut?

Hello. I am playing my Concert-size uke more of late but don't know whether I'm going to get used to its nut width, especially as someone using a classical guitar and a steel string guitar with a 45mm nut. So what luck might I have finding Sopranos and Concerts with a wider nut than usual? I can't need much more space as my baritone feels fine and has the same nut width and string spacing (which on paper doesn't even make sense, so maybe the neck thickness and scale length is having some effect too).

Both have 36mm nut widths and 28mm string spacing.

Thanks.

I believe Kanile'a ukes have slightly wider necks.

also, in the past, there was a ukulele called the Akulele made in South America (?).
    the ones I played had wider necks also.

just sharing from my memory

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday Songbook & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com

35mm or 1 3/8 is considered standard, with a 36mm or 1 7/16 being a moderately wide nut. Kanilea and their import line Islander have 1.5 or 38mm nut size on all their ukuleles. String spacing can vary with any of the nut sizes, so you may find wider spacing on a narrower nut. I have played ukuleles with all size nuts and find myself preferring the 36mm mostly. I did specifically get an Islander soprano with a 38mm nut to have a little more room.

I believe the Kiwaya and their Famous (Japanese brand name) sopranos are 35 or 36 mm wide.

Maybe this info will help (I cannot vouch for the accuracy) http://ukenut.com/comparison-of-ukulele-nut-widths/
    Last edited by EDW; 11-14-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Great. Very handy, thanks.

Thinking now that it might be the scale length that's throwing me. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I believe the Kiwaya and their Famous (Japanese brand name) sopranos are 35 or 36 mm wide.

Maybe this info will help (I cannot vouch for the accuracy) http://ukenut.com/comparison-of-ukulele-nut-widths/
    Not totally accurate. My KoAloha is 1 7/16 or 36mm. I believe that's the nut size for all KoAloha ukuleles.

Quote Originally Posted by CGCE71 View Post
    Great. Very handy, thanks.

Thinking now that it might be the scale length that's throwing me. :-/
    Have you tried a tenor?

Yes, I've got an all mahogany one that I quite like but it has f-holes and I'm finding that I come into contact with the body where the soundhole would be when strumming, so I'll be looking to move to another. A Concert with the Tenor's neck would be good. I like the small sound of the Concert. I saw reference to a long-necked Concert recently so that seems feasible.

Yes, there are long neck concerts and sopranos. Look luck in your search. I have been through a few sizes in search of my favorites.

Kiwaya is 38mm (1.5 inch) nut. My friend loves it a lot. And all of Kiwaya are well set up in factory. You don't need to care about nut and saddle set up.
    Last edited by zztush; 11-14-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Thread Information