Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to do a bolt-on neck?

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    I struggle with neck to body connections. What drives me crazy is that all the directions and illustrations are for a flat, flush, square joins and I use a radiused joint. This adds a whole different level of complexity. Nobody ever talks about getting a radiused join just right with bolts. Flat, flush, square neck to body joins look lame to me and are easy to do. I'm sorry. Show me how to square a radiused butt joint with bolts and I will be happy.

(Apologies. I just spent a frustrating afternoon in the shop with a very balky neck to body join. Kinda pisses a guy off.)
    But why make life hard for yourself just for the sake of it? There are more than enough other potential pitfalls and frustrations on the road to producing a nice instrument to keep me happy! This is one you can very easily design out, and I actually prefer the squared off shoulders look of a body with a flat neck joint face Just to add insult to injury, I used to do radiused tailblocks but these days they are flat as well.
    Last edited by Wildestcat; Yesterday at 12:12 AM.
    Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DPO View Post
    Try joining a banjo uke neck to the body. The body is 8 inch diameter and the neck has a break angle of 2.5/3 . That's a fun join!
    and to complicate things further, try joining a 5 string banjo neck to the rim. Not only do you have to consider the neck angle and the rim diameter, but also the "skew" angle of the neck to the body. The neck has to be square to the rim and frets, and drawing a line down the centre of the peghead down to the heel would be wrong. The actual centre line is the 3rd string, so this also has to be included in the mix. I made a jig which does all these in one operation, using my drill press and sanding drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildestcat View Post
    Just to add insult to injury, I used to do radiused tailblocks but these days they are flat as well.
    (Runs from room sobbing and bursts into tears.) Forsooth Wildestcat. Shame. A square tailblock. Anybody can make a radiused tail and block. It ain't hard. Now a radiused neck and block. That is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    (Runs from room sobbing and bursts into tears.)
    I won't sleep with this on my conscience, so I'll level with you .... I still do a radiused tail on tenors. But ..... if I ever need to make a new mold ......... need I say more
    Cheers
    Paul

Thread Information