Are there any professional performers using primarily the Concert size?

The “Johnny Marvin Tenor” was/is actually a concert sized instrument. I wonder if he actually played it or if it was just what he put his name on. He’s obviously not a contemporary performer but he was prominent in his day.

View attachment 144469
My friend, John Bird, has a Johnny Marvin uke with an airplane bridge that I believe is a concert, but may be a tenor. I found it for him in a Port Hope flea market before he helped to kindle my interest in playing the uke. It's on his left shoulder in this super photo.
John Bird.jpg

My friend, John Bird, has a Johnny Marvin uke with an airplane bridge that I believe is a concert, but may be a tenor. I found it for him in a Port Hope flea market before he helped to kindle my interest in playing the uke. It's on his left shoulder in this super photo.
View attachment 144470
Definitely a concert. The earlier models had the airplane bridge and the mother of toilet seat headstock overlay. Later models had a regular bridge and a headstock that matched the body. To the best of my knowledge all the Johnny Marvin “tenors” were actually concerts. I think these were designed before naming conventions were as standardized and I read somewhere that he tuned down to Bb so I wonder if that’s why they called it a tenor. Awesome find! Those early ones aren’t as common. You’re an awesome friend. I’d like to have Peter Hurney (Pohaku Ukulele) build me a concert someday (specifically his “concert 10” model) and sometimes I think a Johnny Marvin inspired one would be cool.

Last edited:
Del Ray plays a concert scale resonator, I think. Lil Rev plays a concert and a soprano resonator I think.

Top Bottom