Completely Useless Ukulele Tip # 7: It Blows, literally from the planet Mars! hehe

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Here is my latest useless uke tip possibly invented by Roy Smeck on the uke. I am now the first official uke player to play from the planet Mars! ;-) Sorry Bradbury... the Martians Chronicles missed the uke! ;-) hehe

Petey

Thank you Petey!

I think they are very important plays in guitar and ukulele history.

Superb video, Petey. YouÂ’re so clever.

Remember this vid...this cat does lots of useless ukulele tricks, all in one song. Lol. Might give you some ideas. Cheers! Steve.

Remember this vid...this cat does lots of useless ukulele tricks, all in one song. Lol. Might give you some ideas. Cheers! Steve.

Thanks Steve!!! I have my moments here and there and I know very well that dude's song and techniques for ages. It inspired me to do this song called "Sitar Lights."

I will send you tomorrow a PM tomorrow evening about a new coworker who has lots of insight about Japan! hehe I never knew they made Sake Kit Kats to give luck to students writing exams!!! It's all good!

cheers,

Petey

Petey, I like your sitar tune a lot better. Your useless tip deserves some useless follow up questions to really get deep. Radiused fretboard or no? What kind of strings for best martian blow hole tone? and lastly and maybe most importantly, High G or Low G?

Petey, I like your sitar tune a lot better. Your useless tip deserves some useless follow up questions to really get deep. Radiused fretboard or no? What kind of strings for best martian blow hole tone? and lastly and maybe most importantly, High G or Low G?

Thanks for your comments. Funny, I usually score all my original tunes in sheet music or TABS as I compose them, but I only partially did "Sitar Lights" for myself years back so I have trouble remembering how to play the middle parts. Good grief! lol I need to get back at that. As for my useless tip about the Martian blow hole tone, I have no clue if a radius fretboard would improve the experience. None of my new Martin ukes have a radius fretboard. I have no possible comparison. As for changing strings, that's like having different vertical blinds on your window during a windstorm. Just a bit of different clinking and clacking.

As for low or high G... not sure how that affects the passage of one's breath to the uke's soundhole. Try it, do a vid, and share it with the uke community!

cheers,

Petey

What technique is this? How do I learn how to apply this?

What technique is this? How do I learn how to apply this?

Different techniques:
=====================

1. Let open chord ring out [0033] and vibrate bridge with wrist to get the tremolo and move fingers over the sound hole for effect

2. Cross string playing the melody from the 4th to 1st string as follows:

Keep chord shape: 0033

Notes: G A Bb (4th string - hammer on from G to Bb) C (1st string) Bb (4th string)

3. Add in index finger nail striking the body below the first string in the rhythm down and up on the bottom of the uke (watch vid)

4. Sometimes use the palm of the strumming hand to hit the uke body below the 1 string to make a muffled sound

Petey

Top Bottom