Introduction from England

mep1

Reaction score
Hi there.

Just thought that I would do a quick introduction about myself. I am a danish guy living for many years in England. I used to play in various bands - mainly singing - but haven't done anything for the last few years. My last band was called Lost Soul Brothers and there are a few obscure videos on youtube.

I have a little boy of 18 months and I want to teach him music as he grows so I bought him a cheap ukulele a couple of months ago but got really into it myself and have been playing every night, working from a Hal Leonard book 'Ukulele Aerobics' and it is great fun. As I practice at night I bought a cheapo electric ukulele but now have a Pono TE on order from Hawai which should be here in a couple of days :) Also looking to see if I can find an archtop ukulele but that seems extremely difficult here in the UK. Got an Eastman Archtop guitar which I really love.

The three ukuleles on the photo is a £24 Stagg which I bought for my little boy. Wouldn't recommend it and the strings are really awfull. Then there is a £100 Kala SLNG Gloss which is really good for strumming. The last one is a £110 Harley Benton electric uke. The action is too stiff and high and it could really benefit from a proper setup. Also the pickup is not amazing especially when you turn up the tone control. But it is active and you can run an input with backing sounds and it also has a mini jack output for headphones so it will do for now until the Pono turns up.

That's all for now. All the best.
Mads

ukuleles.jpg

Last edited:
Hello and welcome :)

For an Archtop Uke in the UK maybe try Jazz Box Ukes by Toby Chennell - I've not tried them myself though.
http://www.jazzboxukes.com

Welcome aboard. :)

I have a Kala KA-SLNG as well, & it was my go to uke for around about a year when I started out, great uke. :cool:
(Every one seems to like Pono on here, so I'm guessing you'll love it, when it arrives.)

WElcome from the midlands!

Welcome and hello from Staffordshire, ukes are great, its just me thats crap at playing 'em..

Welcome aboard Mads! I think you'll find there are others here who have used uke as an accessible tool to get their kids playing music and found themselves infected with uke fever! Enjoy the Pono.

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for passing the love of music to the little ones.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Really having good fun with the ukulele. Still waiting for the Pono to clear customs as I had to apply for a CITES import document to get it into the UK. That whole affair might be worth a separate thread at some point. I think I will buy local next time.

oops, sorry - I'm a newbie posting to the wrong thread.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-0416.jpg
    IMG-0416.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-0420.jpg
    IMG-0420.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hi Mads, and welcome - I'm new here as well.
I live in Australia and have been playing uke since 2006 - and the love affair shows no sign of fading!
I have a beautiful archtop that I bought in 2014 from Toby Chennell at Jazz Box Ukes, mentioned above in this thread.
Toby gives each instrument an individual name - mine is rather dramatically called Jack Blood, which fits the strong contrast between the rosewood trim and the pale spruce and gorgeous maple of the body. It has a pick and custom hard case, which is so strong it doubles as a seat.
Let me know if you're interested please.
unnamed.jpg
IMG-0416.jpg
IMG-0425.jpg
IMG-0420.jpg
IMG-0428.jpg

Very nice Chennell uke you have there. I have just commissioned Toby to make one for me which should be ready by end of spring.

Top Bottom