Please help me Christmas shop

sbanacho

Reaction score
I want to give a pair of ukuleles to my friend’s 9-yr-old twins (my godchildren).

I have two basic criteria: I want the same model but in different colors, and I want them to be good enough to not turn them off of playing ukulele.

I’m trying to keep the budget at $80 (so $40 per ukulele).

Based on quality, it looks like the Makala Dolphin or Shark might be the best choice, although at $50 each, they exceed my intended budget.

Then there’s the Waterman, which is exactly the right price, and I think a great option. The only thing that worries me is that if you weren’t “in the know” about uke brands you might get the impression a plastic uke is only a toy. On the other hand, it may be perfect for young kids. Also I think these don’t require set-ups.

Then, comes a myriad of other import options on Amazon: Hola!, Mahalo Rainbow, ADM, Diamond Head, Octopus, etc. all have multi-color options in the $30-40 range. Picking these seems like a gamble though. I don’t how to evaluate them and reviews, while mostly positive, are mixed. (I also wonder if they’re coming from the same factory or if they’re any thing that distinguishes one over the other).

Are any of the these decent options? Is there any obvious choice I’m overlooking, either within my budget or with a small stretch? Is it worth it to extend the budget for Dolphins, or are the other options in the same league?

I don't like the Waterman. A kid might though. Stick with the Dolphins, or consider the Bugs Gear. About $40, I like it.

Call MimsUkes. See what she says. I vote dolphins, but I do understand your money issues.

I also vote for Makala Dolphins or Sharks. In my experience, they're far superior to Watermans and because they're a little less indestructible than Watermans, they'll help in conveying the message that instruments should be cared for, and yet they'll survive the ordinary abuse of being played by children. I don't know what your financial circumstances are, but if you can swing the slightly higher cost of Dolphins/Sharks, they're more than worth it. Good luck.

The Makala Dolphin/Shark are both great. I like the way they sound more than the Waterman.

Definitely the Makala Dolphins (or Sharks)! And make sure you order from a dealer that will set them up properly, like Mim's Ukes or Uke Republic. :cool:

thanks everyone, so far overwhelming support for those dolphins. I have a few weeks to decide, so keep the recs coming.

@lapyang hi, we're loving the k1!

Another vote for the dolphin. And a quick observation that next friday will probably have some sales. You might be able to hit your budget with some shopping savvy.

Yep, the Makalas have my vote too.
I would advice getting extra sets of strings, which will make a lot of difference in sound.
Martin M600 sound great on the dolhpins imho.

Top Bottom