An Under Appreciated low G string

Some great advise, as usual. Thanks, Dave. Is this the same wound low G string that is included in the Oasis Warm package? Silver or bronze?

Some great advise, as usual. Thanks, Dave. Is this the same wound low G string that is included in the Oasis Warm package? Silver or bronze?

Rainer this is their "Smooth Wound" it is a phosphorus bronze. They can be had as singles or in a set but that set is labeled "Smooth Wound" and is more expensive. Designation on packaging is SW or SB standing for smooth warm or smooth bright respectively.

I tried the oasis smooth wound when they first came out.
I didn't like them. I initially replaced a freemont soloist with it, because at the time i was on soloist/oasis.
The oasis ones are not nearly as smooth as the soloist. Also, the tone wasn't just bassier, but darker and a bit dull.

But the deal killer for me.. is that they seemed to separate in the wind at the nut.
Tuning over time seemed to pull the windings and expose the core after a few days.
And before you say I needed to file the nut, the soloist and the TI's didn't have that issue on the same uke.
This happened on both of the oasis smooth wound G's I had, so I stopped buying them.

I've been much more satisfied with the TI's on the 3rd/4th... sooo good.
Even tone that doesn't stick out. Very not in your face for wound bass, yet still good projection

Pepe Romero has a great flat-wound bronze low-g string, available as a single. Cheaper than Thomastik or Fremont, and every bit as nice. That said I love the combo of Thomastik wound low-g and c on my Farallon...

I tried the oasis smooth wound when they first came out.
I didn't like them. I initially replaced a freemont soloist with it, because at the time i was on soloist/oasis.
The oasis ones are not nearly as smooth as the soloist. Also, the tone wasn't just bassier, but darker and a bit dull.

But the deal killer for me.. is that they seemed to separate in the wind at the nut.
Tuning over time seemed to pull the windings and expose the core after a few days.
And before you say I needed to file the nut, the soloist and the TI's didn't have that issue on the same uke.
This happened on both of the oasis smooth wound G's I had, so I stopped buying them.

I've been much more satisfied with the TI's on the 3rd/4th... sooo good.
Even tone that doesn't stick out. Very not in your face for wound bass, yet still good projection

We all have different tastes and different strings will or will not be best suited to different ukes. I point this string out for those that have a bright sounding uke that needs a deeper less chimey sound.

For the record I have had the Oasis warm smooth wound on another uke for months with no unwinding or breakage. I agree that they do have more squeak than a Fremont or Thomastik but less then the D'Addarios.

I have been vocal before about my dislike for the tone that Thomastiks produce. Yes it is very even but seems too flat and almost dull or thuddy to me. I have had them on at least 4 different tenors and everytime I have to pull them off after one or two weeks because the tone just bugs me. I realize there are many people including Chuck Moore and Andrew from HMS that use them in their strings sets. A lot of guys I respect really like Thomastik, but I don't. Just goes to show that we need to find what we like the sound of, there is no wrong or right just personal preference.

Last edited:
Pepe Romero has a great flat-wound bronze low-g string, available as a single. Cheaper than Thomastik or Fremont, and every bit as nice. That said I love the combo of Thomastik wound low-g and c on my Farallon...

Thanks for the heads up on the Pepe Romero. I will definitely give it a try

Top Bottom