Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Enya deal alert! Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by katysax View Post
    I have the concert version. The $20 laminated concert was a great deal. I would pass on $66 for the solid soprano. The solid concert I have is pretty good. It is quirky. $66 is a lot for an off-brand Chinese instrument. Yeah it is solid but nothing stands out as great. I got my concert for free to review. It impressed me but I still recommend kala and ohana to my students. On an entry level instrument I don’t see any meaningful value in solid as compared to laminated.
    I'd rather have an all laminate simply because they require less care and worry.
    I think that price wise they are a good deal at retail.
    The Donner laminates have a wider neck which I prefer, at a similar price.
    My wife who is often on the computer has been seeing Amazon Lighting Deals with some regularity.
    Something like 20% off for less than an hour at a time and only 15 minutes to close the deal once it is in the cart.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by katysax View Post
    I have the concert version. The $20 laminated concert was a great deal. I would pass on $66 for the solid soprano. The solid concert I have is pretty good. It is quirky. $66 is a lot for an off-brand Chinese instrument. Yeah it is solid but nothing stands out as great. I got my concert for free to review. It impressed me but I still recommend kala and ohana to my students. On an entry level instrument I don’t see any meaningful value in solid as compared to laminated.
    Enya is Chinese, but I'm not sure how off-brand it is. I have an HPL tenor and baritone from them, both of which are very high quality. They're each over $100, but I think they're definitely worth the price. That being said, I did get the tenor free due to a shipping mistake on their part, so their customer service left a very good impression, but the instruments themselves are quite nicely made and designed as well. They're certainly much better than other ukes like the Waterman or Bugsgear that are made to get wet.

In fact, I would dare say it might be time to take the "Chinese off-brand" stigma away from a couple of the more common brands on eBay and elsewhere. The Kmise, Donner, and Enya ukes I've played stack up well against similarly-priced Makalas, Kalas, etc. Obviously, above $100 or so you have a lot more options, but for the lower end those brands seem well worth the money.

Comparatively price up at $48 today

nevermind please
    Last edited by maki66; 12-10-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Thread Information