NUD - ENYA X1- Round Soprano

SoloRule

Reaction score
I just purchased this fun uke . Our member - Downupdave calls it 'Frying Pan' . He thought I have lost my mind. (just kidding)
This is a high pressure laminate uke.
It does not look or feel cheap.

The packaging is very similar to Apple products . Simple and very elegant
The following goodies came with the uke.
- A heavy padded gig bag . It is very well made. A large front pocket. This bag is almost as good as my Mono case.
- It has radius fret board + Gear tuners
- Comes with fluorocarbon strings
- A tuner (not the one on my video) , A finger shaker, A capo, A pack of spare strings, A pack of picks plus a small storage bag for all the accessories.
- Comfortable strap and two strap buttons installed.
- The neck can be removed if you need to place it inside a suitcase .

Enya really thought of everything. There is absolutely nothing more you will need except start strumming away.
I have done a quick demo the day I received this little bundle of joy. I think it is a perfect Christmas present for all ages.
Price is under $100 Cdn for now, once this batch is gone it will go back to $150 Cdn Good playability . Good sustain. It does not feel or look like cardboard . It is truly a great strumming uke and perhaps finger picking too . As pictures shown, I have changed the strings to Aquila red since I made the rough video. It seems to give it more volume and a warmer voice.

I hope this review give you idea of a nice Christmas present for that special someone.

IMG_7870.jpg
IMG_7874.jpg

-

Last edited:
A radius fretboard......A RADIUS FRETBOARD!!!! You never mentioned that, damn it, now I gotta buy one. You and Kathryn will be the death of me. Simon will never talk to us, maybe we will bring them to the uke jam, do a song for open mic, something about food;)

1,000,000% agree with Brenda’s review. I hated sopranos until this treasure came into my life. Maybe I’m still not fond of **all** sopranos, but I love this one. If you’re on the fence/need a second opinion (other than my 0.02), see Bazmaz’s review from August 2017 in the reviews section. Pardon me now while I go play my little Enya frying pan and ignore my baritone.

I left out a very important point - there is no sharp edges on this uke even the fret wires are nicely rounded
It’s truly exceeded my expectations
Alytw Adam - see what you missed when you are too busy to hang out with us! Ha ha
There are only five left on Canadian Amazon !

Gear tuner

5CFAA337-E897-4237-B668-522A35CFAE9A.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Brenda! Nice uku nice review. I really like this uku.

I just purchased this fun uke . Our member - Downupdave calls it 'Frying Pan' . He thought I have lost my mind. (just kidding)

I rather recall it these children's hero.

Last edited:
Congrats on your frying pan! It sounds great, but will it cook up a mess of catfish?

Congratulations on getting a great ukulele.

Interesting shape. I read pretty good reviews about this uke.
One common thing is that this seems to be low volume. How low? For reference point, I know how low a Romero Creation Soprano XS is, does any know the comparison between the two?

I wish I had seen these when they were first offered at a massive discount. I did not want to spend a $100 without a first play - your review has helped BUT I just bought an ENYA concert (Sapele) for about $20 on Amazon with the Prime discount - I look forward to getting it and it will be my first experience of an ENYA -

I'd like to have one. Looks funny.

With the strap provided. I don't think it is easy to hold without because the behind the bridge area is so small.

This is also one question mark in my mind. On video the ukulele sounds nice, and the round soundboard is relatively big. Sound would be bigger if bridge was not so much near the edge? Or too big and fundamental frequency dominated then? Well it does not have low G, so that maybe not a booming problem anyways.

With the strap provided. I don't think it is easy to hold without because the behind the bridge area is so small.

This is also one question mark in my mind. On video the ukulele sounds nice, and the round soundboard is relatively big. Sound would be bigger if bridge was not so much near the edge? Or too big and fundamental frequency dominated then? Well it does not have low G, so that maybe not a booming problem anyways.

They are relatively quite reasons for the reason you mention. Placement of the bridge near the edge of the sound board.
They are easy to hold and play when sitting down, no strap needed.

We've been very fortunate with Enyas, we bought the camp soprano, a couple of mahogany solid tops, and a couple of sepele laminates all on sale at absurd prices.
I would like an Enya HPL in concert or tenor size.
My wife says we have a problem....

They are relatively quite reasons for the reason you mention. Placement of the bridge near the edge of the sound board.
They are easy to hold and play when sitting down, no strap needed.

We've been very fortunate with Enyas, we bought the camp soprano, a couple of mahogany solid tops, and a couple of sepele laminates all on sale at absurd prices.
I would like an Enya HPL in concert or tenor size.
My wife says we have a problem....

Yea.......but it is a good problem. Way better than drugs, alcohol or gambling. See how easy that was to justify:p

There are other round body ukuleles around - Gretsch and the wonderful ones made by Terry Mead. This one does seem to have the bridge set far back, but then again so does my Maybell banjo ukulele. Setting the bridge back seems to affect resonance. However on the whole these are reputed to be a little quiet. That may be a good thing.

I don’t know how loud people need on a uke this size
For strumming it has plenty of volume
It’s a great budget uke that doesnt look or feel cheap.

Top Bottom