Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce / Mahogany - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Yeah, the price of these in the UK put me off buying one - not that I really needed another uke. :D

(I ended up getting a solid acacia long neck concert, for just a little bit more than the price of this one.)

Last edited:
Nice job. I'd love to hear a review of their tiny XS soprano for comparison

I'd love to try one - as a ukulele it's terrific. Wondeful volume and tone. But in the UK at £429 it's a silly price. I even think the RRP of $299 in the US is a bit silly too.

Bear in mind you can get a VTAB - solid Sitka Spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides with a great tone, and a nicer finish for about £130...

Greetings, and thanks for your review.

I wonder about the geometry/size of the body. How does it feel when playing it? Should you use a strap?

I find that I play tenors (in standard shape) very comfortably by resting the lower bow on my right thigh and the upper bow on my chest. But small concert size ukes (like a Martin C1K) don't have enough size to play comfortable without a strap. Sopranos are another deal, as I just hold those up in my right arm. Anyway, I wonder if this uke, with its narrow upper bow, will be rather awkward to play, for, say, finger picking (I play mostly classical in finger picking style)

I see, in these videos, Daniel Ho is using a strap, or is sort of bending lower.
http://www.theukulelereview.com/2017/09/09/daniel-ho/

Regards

Eugenio

Last edited:
I didn't find it particularly difficult. In fact it's very comfortable

I've been wondering when these would hit our shores, did not for a second think they'd come with such a dramatic markup on price compared to the US. I think we've all got used to $1 = £1 (e.g. a Kanile'a K1 tenor is $1,035 at HMS or £1,080 at SUS), frustrating as that might be, but this one is surprising. Would love to have a play of one regardless, might have to pop down to the south coast!

S.U.S. has a pre used koa model available for £550, if you happen to feel like getting a TT. :)

In the process of moving house so still more than I can get away with, although I suppose I could pretend we'd always had it when we unpack in the new place... :D

We have the solid mahogany model, as some of you know. We bought it used for $350. Not a silly price at all, we feel it would have been worth at least 100 more.
It's one of the best sounding ukes I've ever played. Daniel Ho wanted a tenor uke that would fit in a concert case, for travel, and it worked!

Greetings, and thanks for your review.

I wonder about the geometry/size of the body. How does it feel when playing it? Should you use a strap?

I find that I play tenors (in standard shape) very comfortably by resting the lower bow on my right thigh and the upper bow on my chest. But small concert size ukes (like a Martin C1K) don't have enough size to play comfortable without a strap. Sopranos are another deal, as I just hold those up in my right arm. Anyway, I wonder if this uke, with its narrow upper bow, will be rather awkward to play, for, say, finger picking (I play mostly classical in finger picking style)

I see, in these videos, Daniel Ho is using a strap, or is sort of bending lower.
http://www.theukulelereview.com/2017/09/09/daniel-ho/

Regards

Eugenio

It's one of the most comfortable concert size bodies I've ever played. The large lower bout makes it feel like a tenor under the arm, but with a concert body size. I have strap buttons on it, but almost never play it with a strap. The benefit of the strap, however, is that it allows you to play it without clinching it between your arm and your body. On this uke, that really makes a difference in sound -- the body is hugely resonant and responsive, so you don't want to mute it by hugging it too hard against your body...

Purchased one of the TT solid top. I agree 100% with comments. They are a cannon. Very well made. Body depth is deeper than a solid wood version. Excellent tuners. Plays like a dream.

Set up by Joel at HMS. In Canadian dollar, I found them to be a great deal and value for the money. I replaced my Fluke with this laminate body unit. The solid spruce top makes this sing. A ukulele , I keep humidified but don't worry about. The hard/foam case fits it well and is light.

I got a Walnut fretboard and bridge and its dark and looks and feels great.

I highly recommend this unit.

Great to hear such positive reviews of these. I have mostly heard about the tiny tenor. Has anyone played the XS and able to offer a comparison-volume and tone, etc? I have heard clips, but it is hard to tell from those.

The XS has been on my radar as well. Quite curious about that one. There is a nice video demo on the HMS site of one.

Patiently (foot tapping as we speak) waiting for the ST concert version to come out. Sent an email to Romero Creations & Pepe replied that they will come out in the summer. The spruce top /laminate body ST concert may replace my laminate soprano as my camping uke???

Patiently (foot tapping as we speak) waiting for the ST concert version to come out. Sent an email to Romero Creations & Pepe replied that they will come out in the summer. The spruce top /laminate body ST concert may replace my laminate soprano as my camping uke???

Any indication as to when this summer? Early summer? Mid? Late? I was just digging around on the internet looking for the ST Concert with laminate back when I came across this thread. Needless to say, my curiosity is peaked!

Any indication as to when this summer? Early summer? Mid? Late? I was just digging around on the internet looking for the ST Concert with laminate back when I came across this thread. Needless to say, my curiosity is peaked!

Pepe Romero just indicated "in the summer." I have seen the spruce/laminate mahogany ST concert listed on Elderly Music's website with the "Coming Soon" label. I'll ask them if they have an ETA and report back.

Elderly responded quickly, but unfortunately they have no ETA. I will continue to be patient and keep an eye on Elderly, HMS, and Uke Republic websites.

Top Bottom