Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce / Mahogany - REVIEW

Not wanting to rebut or redo the Tiny Tenor review that Barry Maz provided (because I thought his review was spot on) but rather to expand it by adding some additional information about the all solid Tiny Tenors that are somewhat different than the Solid Spruce top/Laminate body versions.

Solid Tiny Tenors come in a few varietals. Solid Hawaiian Koa, Solid Hawaiian Mango, Solid Mahogany, and I think a some were made with Solid Spruce tops with Solid Rosewood bodies but I can’t find the last variety currently for sale. US$ street prices for Koa and Mango are roughly US$665, set up, with cases. For Solid Mahogany the price is about US$479-499.

The all solid line differs not only in using solid tone woods but also have some other differences in the details. The neck is one piece with the exception of a decorative ebony heel cap, and a decorative ebony face on the head. The laser engraved(?) or stamped(?) head stamp on the laminate model is replaced with mother of pearl inlay that is nicely set into the ebony.

Plastic (or metal?) tuner knobs used on the laminate models are upgraded to hand made ebony tuner buttons. The tuners are black and sealed gear units that are different than the tuners used on the laminate models. I don't know the brand, don't know how they are different mechanically compared to the laminate model tuners but they are visually different.

The back, top and sides are 2 pieces, book matched. The back of the solid versions are braced in a fan shape. The name/model tag inside is made of wood and appears to be laser engraved, rather than having the paper label on the inside. Solid wood versions also don't have black binding but rather are unadorned save for the abalone rosette, abalone fret dots and mother of pearl inlay in the head.

Value and beauty are subjective, I believe the build quality rivals Pono and Opio and the wood is of very high quality. Some may disagree. Romero uses real Hawaiian Koa rather than Acacia and I've been told the Mango is also source from Hawaii. To all I will suggest that beauty and value will be in the eye of the beer holder and choose to hoist a pint rather than fight.

Nut width is 35mm. The neck profile is a "c" shape profile and (purely subjective) I find this very pleasing. But then I like "c" profile neck shapes and, while I do like my Magic Fluke, I dislike the bulkier flattened back neck profile. For my fingers (and that is the most important guide I use for my playing) the neck shape and nut width on the Tiny Tenor are perfect ... sadly my playing is not (that is a fact, not an opinion).

A few photos of my Mango Tiny Tenor, and for whatever it is worth, I opted for one with minimal ‘spalting’ after looking at quite a few of these because I really liked the way the ‘flaming’ looks on this one. By the way, the sound hole is a very large hole, larger than any other uke I've measured. It is big!

I thought I should point out that this ukulele is modified. There is an ebony strap button added to the neck and a K&K Aloha Twin pick up. Pictures added to show the modifications.

Mango Tiny Tenor > IMG_1117.jpg
Soundhole measured > fullsizeoutput_595b.jpg
Back/Neck/Ebony Strap button > IMG_0060.jpg
End Pin Jack for K&K Aloha Twin pick up > IMG_1207.jpg
Compensated saddle > IMG_0061.jpg

Last edited:
That's a beauty. I agree, they are at least as good a value as Pono or Opio. The craftsmanship and build remind me of Kiwaya, and that's a very high bar. The sound is gorgeous and it's easy to play.

We just bought on of these for my wife at USpace yesterday, those folks are great!
She loves it! Now she is talking about buying the Koa TT next year.

Lovely ukuleles for sure, thanks for all the information about these Baz!

Melensdad, thanks for adding to this review. I purchased a solid Top/Laminate version after reading BAZ's review. I was looking to replace my Tenor Fluke which I had upgraded Friction to peghed tuners. It was sounding really good after a few years of play but I HATED the neck. The TT solid top, totally surpassed my expectation. Great Uke. At the time, I wasn't sure , I'd like the shape or size so the solid top worked on a budget. I now love the feel of this UKULELE so much, I will buy a second - ALL solid TT. I just don't know what wood as I haven't had the opportunity to play or hear the differences in woods. Sometimes I lean toward ALL KOA because of the comments online about clarify, sustain and volume. I love the mango and find the spaulting and patterns differ a lot. The Mahogany is very nice looking and Daniel does a nice demo on that. So, on the fence on which wood but it will happen.

Another difference from Solid top TT to all solid wood TT is the depth of the body. I measured mine a 3 1/8" deep and another UU member measure their all solid and it was about 2 5/8" or so. As noted the solid top has a black binding. I don't know why depth is different but BAZ suggested it may be to help "projection" on the mahogany laminate.

Mine came perfectly set up from HMS and like I say, I will get another one because I like the feel and sound and the necks on these are really nice.

TT in any form are nice ukes. Both Solid top and all SOLID wood are a bargain!

If anyone has sound sample of the various wood or can comment that would be helpful. Because of where I live, I'm likely going to have to buy on line.

My .02 cents worth.
Cheers

Melensdad, thanks for adding to this review. ...

Another difference from Solid top TT to all solid wood TT is the depth of the body. I measured mine a 3 1/8" deep and another UU member measure their all solid and it was about 2 5/8" or so. As noted the solid top has a black binding. I don't know why depth is different but BAZ suggested it may be to help "projection" on the mahogany laminate.

Well my tape measure is showing less than the 2 5/8" and in fact is right at 2 7/16" or 1/16" of an inch shy of 2.5".

Also mine has absolutely no binding, top or back.

Body Depth w/tape measure => IMG_2162.jpg

You are correct. I couldn’t remember the exact measurement on an all solid TT. The black bindings are only on the so,I’d spruce top/ laminate sides version. That is what I have. Very nice sounding ukulele but I can’t wait to play an all solid TT. You Mango looks great. Thanks for posting.

I got one last year. I went to Uke Republic while visiting relatives in Atlanta, GA. The Uke Republic is not far from there. I sat in their little show room, and tried out all the ukes they had on display. My wife was with me. We agreed that the Romero had the best sound. So, I got it. I don't remember the 'competition,' but the Romero was the clear winner. I play it fairly often when I want a low G instrument. But my Kamaka Ohta-San is better and gets most of my attention in that size/tuning variation. But since price was a concern discussed above, you should take into account that the Kamaka was a lot pricier than the Romero. The Romero is a great little uke for the money. At least, I think so.

I got one last year. I went to Uke Republic while visiting relatives in Atlanta, GA. The Uke Republic is not far from there. I sat in their little show room, and tried out all the ukes they had on display. My wife was with me. We agreed that the Romero had the best sound. So, I got it. I don't remember the 'competition,' but the Romero was the clear winner. I play it fairly often when I want a low G instrument. But my Kamaka Ohta-San is better and gets most of my attention in that size/tuning variation. But since price was a concern discussed above, you should take into account that the Kamaka was a lot pricier than the Romero. The Romero is a great little uke for the money. At least, I think so.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the best sound :agree:

Its just such a wonderful sounding instrument. I go back to mine constantly. Often I will play my Romero Creations Tiny Tenor and alternate with my aNueNue Custom Maui Mango III tenor just to listen to the sound differences and that actually led me to change out the strings on my aNueNue to try to get as rich a tone as I get from the Tiny Tenor.

Hard to describe sound to other people but the little Romero TT has a great sound :shaka:

Top Bottom