Mya Moe tuners switch out

Lapyang

Reaction score
My Mya Moe Tenor came with the standard machine head turners "rabbit ears". I got it used. Is it possible to change them to Pegheads? Has anyone done it before? Seems to me the result may not be good due to the screw holes on the back of the headstock. Maybe I am just looking for someone to tell me it is futile...

I have never used Pegheds but actually own one for the fifth string of a banjo - never installed. Their reputation is excellent but my research showed them difficult to install well. I particularly like the nickel ones as opposed to the black ones. On the other hand I have installed three sets of the Gotoh UPT tuners and they are truly impeccable. I have them on an old player Martin, my Kamaka gold label and a Maybell banjo ukulele. I have used Gotoh planetarium on banjos for years. The quality is amazing.

PS - I think that the rabbit ear look is sort of odd, but I have a few that have these and am not offended. The planetary form of tuning machine is so well reliable that it both keeps something of the look of friction tuners AND they are much easier to use.

Last edited:
I have a Mya-Moe Baritone and I was thinking of swapping the tuners too but I want to swap them because it just won't stay in tune at all. I'm constantly tuning it and it is very frustrating. Old strings, new strings doesn't matter.

You would have to fill the screw holes. If the tuner holes are too big or not tapered, you might have to have someone fill them and re drill. A decent luthier should be able to do these things so you would barely notice the repair.

I have had Pegheds in the past and they work amazingly well. They are light and work very smoothly. I much prefer the look of standard friction tuners, Pegheds or similar over the "ears"

A friend has a Mya Moe and disliked the Pegheds. He sent it in and Aaron swapped them out for Gotoh. I'm not saying anything about Pegheds, it was his opinion. I am saying talk to Mya Moe. He had to pay for the tuners and a small fee, and he got the Pegheds back (and gave them to me). They will be able to answer your question best.

Thanks for all the input. I think I will leave the tuners as they are for now. The idea that DIY will devalue the uke does not sit well with me. I prefer the peghed/gotoh look over rabbit ears, but it is not a huge deal. The other alternative may be having Mya Moe do the work, so psychologically, it is "factory installed".

I have never used Pegheds but actually own one for the fifth string of a banjo - never installed. Their reputation is excellent but my research showed them difficult to install well. I particularly like the nickel ones as opposed to the black ones. On the other hand I have installed three sets of the Gotoh UPT tuners and they are truly impeccable. I have them on an old player Martin, my Kamaka gold label and a Maybell banjo ukulele. I have used Gotoh planetarium on banjos for years. The quality is amazing.

PS - I think that the rabbit ear look is sort of odd, but I have a few that have these and am not offended. The planetary form of tuning machine is so well reliable that it both keeps something of the look of friction tuners AND they are much easier to use.

I ordered Gotoh tuners for my Kiwaya, but they are manufactured as the orders are received. It will take about two months to get them to me in NY from Japan. Is installation straight forward? I have friction pegs now.

Thanks for all the input. I think I will leave the tuners as they are for now. The idea that DIY will devalue the uke does not sit well with me. I prefer the peghed/gotoh look over rabbit ears, but it is not a huge deal. The other alternative may be having Mya Moe do the work, so psychologically, it is "factory installed".

You can do as I did once the UPTs were installed, leave the holes unfilled. Keep the original tuners and if you sell it swap the tuners out before listing it. Life is too short to put up with rabbit ears if they really bother you.

I ordered Gotoh tuners for my Kiwaya, but they are manufactured as the orders are received. It will take about two months to get them to me in NY from Japan. Is installation straight forward? I have friction pegs now.

Having installed a set of pegheds I can truly say that the Gotoh upt tuners are a breeze to install. To do so weak get a reamer for violin pegs. I like my pegheds but was not quite careful enough with the reamer and it was too easy to cut too much. I have made it work and love them. Incidentally I believe I have the last set of short pegheds from the Fluke conversions - these are no longer available. I shall sell this set as I will use Gotoh instead now. I ordered mine from HMS in Hawaii and I had them in a week - call them maybe. $59 + shipping

You can do as I did once the UPTs were installed, leave the holes unfilled. Keep the original tuners and if you sell it swap the tuners out before listing it. Life is too short to put up with rabbit ears if they really bother you.

I forgot to mention the hole in the headstock of my Mya Moe was very slightly larger in diameter then the barrel of the UPTs. This is good news because no reaming to the headstock was neccassary. Just one wrap of electrical tape around the barrel of the UPT made a perfectly snug fit. Hope this helps.

There's a set for sale in the Marketplace nickel with white buttons...oops, they're sold.

Wow, I didn't know the post is still going.

Dave, that's a good idea. Seems easy enough to do.
However, since the original post in November, this Mya Moe have been growing on me, even with the rabbit ears.
I may still try your suggestion just for the fun of it.
Thanks.

I'm thinking of doing this on a Mya Moe reso that is nearing completion.
According to Gordon, they drill a 10mm hole in the headstock for the bug ear tuners.
From the Gotoh website the UPT's have a dia of 9.5 mm.
Headstock thickness.
The UPT is for a headstock 10 to 12 mm thick.
The UPTL are for headstock 11.5 to 13.5 mm thick.
I have measured my tenor Mya Moe headstock at exactly 12mm, but will wait until I receive the reso to check that headstock.
So should be an easy change, the only issue would be UPT or UPTL! (And the screwholes from the old tuners, but they are out of sight round the back, so no problem!)
h

Top Bottom