Season 301 of the Ukulele- Stay all night, Stay a little longer.

Greetings,

Thanksgiving is about being thankful. Among my blessings, I count you all of the seasons. My hair still smells like turkey, and I like that it does. I sent some bird and fixings to my brother, and those that could make it to my house did.

Love to all
Ciao

I did this one before, in season 222, so it's been a while. I think I had a cold when I recorded that old one. Anyway, I think this is an improvement. I added some melodica and a tiny bit of reverb, and I think it turned out pretty well. More Cindy Walker.

Here's another one off the western swing and hillbilly boogie CD I had, by Smiley Maxedon in 1953. This was another guy who did hardcore honky tonk stuff, and also crossed over into some western swing. It appears this was his best known number.

I think this is a good follow-up for the song Recovering Bassist did. I used the lyrics from the Bob Wills version. It was also recorded by the Light Crust Doughboys, but I didn't want to use their version because my grandmother's name was Mabel.

This song was later sanitized into soullessness by Arthur Godfrey, and still later bleached whiter than white by the prepubescent Osmond Brothers Quartet.

After the Light Crust Doughboys disbanded (for the first time), W. Lee "Pappy" O'Daniel formed another Western swing band for his radio show, naming the band "W. Lee O'Daniel & His Hillbilly Boys." Later, his son took over the band and they were called "Pat O'Daniel & His Hillbilly Boys." The band was named for Hillbilly Flour, which O'Daniel sold. Here's a song they recorded. This song, written in 1921, has been recorded hundreds of times, most notably by Ethel Waters. And oh yeah, Bob Wills recorded this song too!

Last edited:
one written by jerry livingston, abner silver and mitchell parish in 1937
that I think was first recorded by bob wills.
over and out lefty. thanks for a swingin week mate.

Man of constant sorrow

"Man of Constant Sorrow" (also known as "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow") is a traditional American folk song first published by Dick Burnett, a partially blind fiddler from Kentucky. The song was originally titled "Farewell Song" in a songbook by Burnett dated to around 1913. An early version was recorded by Emry Arthur in 1928, which gave the song its current titles.

There exist a number of versions of the song that differ in their lyrics and melodies. The song was popularized by The Stanley Brothers who recorded the song in the 1950s

I found something interesting at archive.org, if anyone wants to take a listen.

That Western Swing Thing

Five parts, about 2.5 hrs total running time.

That's a good find!!
I will add that the 5 parts are also set up to be downloadable mp3s (a zip file) in 5 half-hour segments, around 35Mb each. I just put them on an ipod and am set for 5 nice walks!

When TCK posted a clip of Pee Wee King doing this song the other day I took it as a personal subliminal message, whether it was or not. I wanted to see if I could play it. To hopefully please TCK even more, I did two full passes at it here, so it would be "long enough". lol

Sorry I didn't make the party last night gang- busy running around all day with family. Off to hang with my birds but I will be back this afternoon to see what you fine folks have been up to. Oh, and RB...it was.

Let's try a bit more of the Light Crust Doughboys. C - F - G7. Jump in!

I knew when I missed yesterday you guys were going to reward me with a lot of videos to watch, and that is exactly what I have been doing while my MIL shows Melissa all here pictures from birding in Chile'. Don't get me wrong...I love looking at thousands of pictures of food and people I will never meet....
OK. On with the show.
Ryan- Way Back Home. One I have not heard (in this incarnation), though I do have it by Bing (who I have a lot of as he was one of my dad's clients many years ago). I would say that in spite of it's western imagery...this is likely more "whitewashed" jazz than it is Western Swing, but you said "the owls are the hootiest" which made me laugh from the gut.

Wee- Rootie Tootie. And more importantly Pee Wee King, though the Hank Williams version is one of my favorite deeper Hank tracks (and we all know he I love Hank Williams). Sorry I missed this last round, I thought you had just posted the Hank Song. COme to find this is something entirely different, and interesting to hear. Nicely done sir.

And Slow Poke. This was the song that made me listen to Western Swing that was not Bob Wills. Love the slow poke remix of Slow Poke. Perfect mate, and an excellent bring.

Two Little Woodpeckers- Take Me Back To Tulsa. Well don't this just have it all? Two of my favorite folks throwing it all out there...mando? Bass? Artwork? This is a very special treat mate. Excellent rendition as always, and thanks for all the added enthusiasm. This has me dancing around the living room like a damn fool- thanks for bringing it guys!

Tootler-Honky Tonk Angels. Definitely more of a Honky Tonk tune right here...probably one of the most famous, but he did do a lot of WS. Nice rendition here Tootler- one everybody knows and hopefully they all played along as I did. Mouth trumpet an added treat for sure!
Probably included with WS because he ALWAYS had the outfits. That and his really early stuff (like Humpty Dumpty Heart) are solid WS senders ;)

Berni. Cold Taters- I am going to hazard to guess that you were the only person in Lagos that knew who Little Jimmy Dickens was. That makes me smile. Great tune here, and I think it is perfect with just the uke. Solid tune, well delivered mate. I promise next round I will let ya write all the songs you want.
My evil ways too came from cold taters.

AlanDP- You're From Texas. Another GREAT song from Cindy. Love this one, and if my mother in law could hear it in the living room she would blast it through the house in whatever key she landed on, because it is one of her favorite tunes, and that is just what Texans do. Was so excited when Texas made WS it's official music, and some day I will make Bob Wills days. Some day. Nice bring here and great work on it.

Also....
Benji- Lazy Day. One of my favorite songs to just sit down and play. You are too young to remember “Petticoat Junction” but that was TV when we were sick as kids, and Smiley Burnette was the train conductor who taught me this song when I was like 7. Big smiles hearing this one and you handled it nicely! Than and you brought Smiley and Bob Wills in a two for one...and the longer term Seasonistas will get this, you “Hagged” up the season as well, all in one fell swoop. Well done.

Uking Viking-Sitting on top of the World. Super nice tune here, excellent strum for it and great smooth as silk vocals. Nice bring right here. Top shelf ukin right there...singing along in Cloverdale.

AlanDP- Little Cowboy Lullaby. Can't ever go wrong with Cindy Walker. Another great bring, really outdoing yourself this week mate- I certainly appreciate the effort. Wonderful version here and the melodica adds so much. Just perfect.

RB-Red Hot Mama. OK- this one I don't have in the collection (I don't think)...which is weird, because it is my new theme song. Excellent tune DELIVERED right here. Love this one.

AlanDP
- Ding Dong Daddy. Now this is special...way off the beaten path here, I love this incarnation of the Playboys. This one, Who Walks In, Get With It...great look at the raucous side of young Bob WIlls. Super well done, excellent song to bring for the week.

Randy- There'll Be Some Changes Made. There are three of you! Excellent! Part of what I really love about this music is that so much of it's history is so wrapped up in the sale of a commodity...and one everyone was going to buy (flour). Thanks for dropping a little history and bringing this song that was truly done by every band after the Light Crust Dough Boys. Excellent stuff my friend.

And...
Ryan- Pistol Packin Mama. EXPLOSIVE Hit...covered all over the place, excellent bring right here. Nicely done, definitely a song I LOVE...but admittedly not the AL Dexter version (which is good). The Hurricanes did a Doo-wop version of it that is a scorcher!

Pa- You Don't Know. Wow. I did not expect Bob Dunn's Vagabonds this week, but here they are. Well done Pa! Again the perfect smooth as silk delivery and the screamin' harp. We are a lucky audience mate. Very nice work here.

Jon. My Window Faces The South. This is an incredible arrangement of this tune. When I consider that one person is playing it all, I have to pick my jaw up off the floor. This is a very special recording my friend. Sweet as Pancho. One of my favorites to turn all the way up and chase the blues away.

Wee- Man Of Constant Sorrow. Beautifully recorded version of a fantastic song, but one that was regretfully never picked up by a Western Swing band as I know or can find. Gospel versions abound, especially in the Kentucky region, and there is of course what the Stanley Brothers did with it, but I will be darned if there is a swing version of it.

RB- Boneparte's Retreat. I knew you would know this one and hoped you would jump in...totally why I posted it. Not subliminal at all, and here it is for all of our enjoyment. Excellent playing and singin' here. Dancing around to the Boneparte's Retreat here in the 'Dale.

Pa- Tooble Ooodle Oo. I knew you would know this one and hoped you would jump in...totally why I posted it. Not subliminal at all, and here it is for all of our enjoyment. Excellent playing and singin' here. Dancing around to the Boneparte's Retreat here in the 'Dale.

Randy- Just Can't Get Along. Let's do just that! So nice to see these guys included. Perfect history lesson here...someday you will have to tell me how you were exposed to this stuff. I reckon I know how popular Rockabilly was up there by the Lakes, but there has to be a story here right? Excellent song my friend, and great delivery.

Thanks for the entertainment folks! Still a little time before the Poi gets cold in Hawaii or whatever gol' dern' time these things end- anyone got another in 'em?

I found this Wesley Tuttle song early in the week, but I didn't get a chance to learn the chords until tonight. And, uhm, Jessica and I did eat lunch at a restaurant playing a Ramones album. So that explains the uke arrangement :p

Top Bottom