Season 301 of the Ukulele- Stay all night, Stay a little longer.

Here’s some more Bob Wills, who for some reason I really want to call Bob Willis this week. I’ve googled “Bob Willis songs” at least 4 times. He, apparently, was a country Gospel singer.

Here’s some more Bob Wills, who for some reason I really want to call Bob Willis this week. I’ve googled “Bob Willis songs” at least 4 times. He, apparently, was a country Gospel singer.

That is so weird - I've been doing exactly the same thing....
Worse still in my mind it feels that he SHOULD be named Bob Wiilis.
Loved the trade mark BW call outs Benji although I will say they weren't quite high enough - he sure called out in a high voice.

Last edited:
As sweet and nostalgic song as they come - "Whisper Waltz" by Pee Wee King & His Golden West Cowboys (1951).

This one was one of this month's tunes of the month for the Harmonica Club forum. It turned out to be useful for this forum too.

This is a totally separate recording from my harmonica one which was solo harmonica and uploaded to soundcloud - and I don't think I had the tune quite right.

I think I got the tune right this time. It's turned out to be something of an earworm.

Originally recorded by Tex Ritter as a B side in 1944, Then Jimmy Davis, one of the writers a year later then by several others much later. Of course I had to include some harp.

That is so weird - I've been doing exactly the same thing....
Worse still in my mind it feels that he SHOULD be named Bob Wiilis.
Loved the trade mark BW call outs Benji although I will say they weren't quite high enough - he sure called out in a high voice.

Haha. When I first start listening, I thought, who is that random lady on all of Bob Willis’s songs?

Not really sure if it should sound like this, because I just found the chords and started playing ;).
Here is my take on Bob Wills - You Can't Break A Heart.

Recorded by Bob Wills and no telling how many others. Fallen somewhat out of popularity in recent years because it's allegedly "offensive."

Since nobody else has played this Bob Wills classic yet, written by Cindy Walker, I thought I'd give it a shot. Always thought this was a super cool tune. Wanted to see if I could play it, and it actually came together quicker than I was expecting. Nowhere near a perfect take here, but it had a decent vibe so I kept it.

Best after-work treat ever...A cocktail and all these amazing songs!!! Thank you folks. Here is round one of what I gotta say, because tonight it is gonna take two!
Rick. Miles and miles. How could ya ever get tired of this song? Great outing right here...sounded just right on that firefly. Definitely had the singalong going in the "Dale mate.

Alan DP- Did the Man In The Moon Come From Texas. More Cornhuskers!!!! Boy howdy are we a lucky audience- nailed this one mate, I know for a fact I would not have made it through the first verse without giggling. Real nice playin' and singin here- You wouldn't happen to know Pee Wee Kings Rootin' Tootin Santa Clause while we are on the novelty tunes? One of the hosts favorites ;)

Wee- Corina Corina. OK- This totally blew my head up. I thought I knew "approximately" what I was going to hear when I clicked the link, and then I clicked it and WOW> Totally re-imagined, totally retains it's original charm, and yet, so mindbogglingly different. Excellent bring my friend.

Pa and Charlie. Sittin On Top Of The Wold. This is really great Pa. I remember the first video Charlie was in...man do they grow up fast. Tell the kiddo she has an excellent feel for that little uke right there, and kudos to you as well my friend, that voice and the harp topped this cake just right

Steve- You Belong To Me. Again- Gonna tell someone I don't know I love 'em. This one is special here because I have always loved...enough that I have never played it because I can't get it right, and I had NO IDEA Pee Wee King wrote it. Totally counts, and this here is an amazing little piece of music my friend. Well done.

Gina- Rawhide. Yes m'lady, you are nuts, and that is what we like about ya. Frankie Laine and the Jimmy Carroll Orchestra cannot by any stretch of the imagination be called Western Swing, but it was a western song, and your parody is quite a hoot.
In any event, my thoughts are with you and your sister, and the multiple Thanksgiving meals, none of which sounds fun.
That said, I also need about 5 more videos from ya. Also nuts. The songs are cathartic. Play the heck out of them.

Linda (The L one, not the headless one or the one who likes turtles)-I hear you talking. See? I knew you had one in ya! Thanks for making the time to make the party because this is Deep Bob and it is SOLID. Played and sung...just right. Now go be with your family and enjoy the Holiday, guilt free. I do have a request if you happen to run into your sister over the next few days, but we will worry about that later. Hat is off for bringing us a tune.

Benji- Deep Waters. This is a beaut my friend. First...just know that the Cloverdale Crew LOVES the backtracks, not sure if you know this, but that is Bob Wills doing all that hollerin'. Second, you are playing slowly and melodically...and you are killing it my friend. Nice work. I would like to hear a Martin's version of the song "Take Me Back To Tulsa" if y'all have time, but what you are bringing is top shelf.

What an AMAZING night. All my favorite songs being offered by all my favorite folks...I don't think it gets better than this. If it does, I will need a warning. Anyway...
Kolibri- Whisper Waltz. Now we are digging deep into the Bob Wills collection, and this is a beautiful rendition of this song that I admittedly noticed before. It is a beautiful song, and my favorite artist EVER could not convince me of that.
You did that. Thank you so much for playing this

Geoff. New Moon Over My Shoulder. Tex Ritter was so rad...I try to explain this to everyone who remembered his son in "Three's Company" - In any event. I am just now realizing how "in your wheelhouse" this tune is, and really appreciating the great job you have done bringing it my friend. Great stuff. Not sure if the back track track is concertina or harmonica. but it is beautiful. Thanks for this Geoff.

Big Daddy. Bluer That Blue. One of my Go-to's...and one of Bob's Best. The Tommy Duncan vocal on this is SUBLIME...but seeing my smiling friend playing it might be better than all that. Nicely delivered my friend. Thanks for playing this for us.

Wim. You Can Break A Heart. Mate-it should sound like this because that is how you made it, and it is perfect. You took a song that was once at best whimsical and given it a plaintive voice, and that is perfect. Excellent bring. I had to to the stacks to find this one...way to dig a little.

Randy- I Laugh When I Think. There is something so special in your delivery. This is my absolute favorite. Bob Wills song, and I have spent 30 years making sure I have them all. I did not think this could ever sound any better...and then I am presented with this. The joy and the heart you put into playing these for us, as well as all the extra entertainment, is really a special thing my friend. I think I speak for all of us, thank you. You are totally a member of "Punch Your Neighbor" any time you are in California my friend.

Alan DP. Across the Alley From the Alamo. Such a wonderful song...I wish folks would put "offensive" into a context that made some kind of sense, because this a wonderful song and here you have delivered it like a champ. Thanks for this one, it is on my long list of "favorites" and this is a fantastic rendition.

RB (jeez man, what is your first name?)-Cherokee Maiden. I was hoping you would bring this....you are the only one capable of that intro, and you killed it. What a great old song and you played it with the finesse it deserves. Thank You! This is completely awesome. And way too short ;)

BDU. Slow Down. Hahahahahaha- This is the Alan Thornton slide in. Ferlin was not known for Western Swing (more Honky Tonk and or Rackabilly) but he did make a few appearances as a WS singer around in 1955 when this was made (though WS was fading badly at that time). It totally counts! And it is really really good....and tyhanks for sending me down a rabbit hole, because it is rabbit holes I love the best. Excellent rendition my friend.

Linda (with an L and not headless or male). Bring it on Down to My House. See? You had two in ya...and you KILLED this. So dang good we pushed the furniture outta the way here in the 'Dale and started doing the two-step. Absolutely rocking cover Linda. So glad you could join the party, because this is a special bring right here. TOP SHELF.

Two Little Woodpeckers- Don't Be Ashamed Of Your Age. If I could have said "Hey Guys...Please play this" this would be that song, because I knew there would a perfect delivery on it, and that is what we have here. Glad I am stumbling upon this before I really start to go to town, because this is absolutely fantastic. Re- imagined as one does, expertly played, and knocked right out. Thanks friends.

Much love folks. Keep them coming.

This song was written by Paul Westmoreland in 1945, and became a big his for Spade Cooley. I think that Spade Cooley's story is one of the most interesting and tragic in all of music, and I'm love to see a movie based on him life.

Having just watched the Two Little Woodpeckers very accomplished version of "Don't Be Ashamed of Your Age", I came across this unbelievably kitsch offering from Tennessee Ernie Ford the other day, which simply HAS to be shared ....

And to go from the sublime to the downright ridiculous, I now bring you that amazingly versatile instrument, the bouzouki-uki, performing Western Swing. This song, which appears to have been written by the entire Wills family, deserves a more serious approach and I apologise for not treating
it with the appropriate gravitas, but the tune is just so bouncy and the lyrics are just so ... corny! (Sorry, Dave!)

Last edited:
Well, no originals this week, so I had to choose to stand on the sidelines or do a cover. As my Dad was a big fan of the style and the period, I thought I'd do one that I can still clearly hear him singing in my head. It is one of the two he covered by Little Jimmy Dickens (the other being "Take an old cold tater and wait").

My Dad, like me, especially liked his songs to have something of a social comment in them and this one certainly has that, although without ramming its "message" down your throat.

I haven't subtitled this one, but you can find the lyrics and chords in the Youtube description.

I guess I don’t really know a lot about Western Swing music but I’m hoping this would be an acceptable opportunity to throw in a fiddle tune. I did an instrumental, multi track all on my KoAloha soprano. I hope you like, Over The Waterfall.

Top Bottom