Season 301 of the Ukulele- Stay all night, Stay a little longer.

Well, all the Thanksgiving festivities are over with and I don't have anything to do but dig through youtube looking for people I've never heard of. Here's an Ida song that's not Ida Red.

Here's a little Ray Whitley & His 6 Bar Cowboys, song's called Come On Boys We're Ridin' Into Town.

I'm gonna take a moment to be thankful. That uke you see in my hands is new, to me. For a very long time it belonged to our host. Dave put out a call for a guitar a few weeks back after a student of his lost one in the fires. I hadn't touched mine in years so that was a no brainer. It also gave me an excuse to see my friend. When I delivered, TCK handed me this beautiful Kala 8-string. "It's yours". Took me a while to pull my jaw off the floor. So let me give thanks, for the ukulele of course, but mostly for the friends who are really more like family. When I was young I always thought friendships just come and go and that's the way of things. Now that I'm a bit wiser, and much older, I know the value of having someone in your life who you are just damn lucky to have met, let alone form a bond that is really beyond words. Yeah, I'm getting mushy, but it is Thanksgiving. So thanks. Here's a song. On a Kala 8-string given to me by my friend.

Here's one from the Light Crust Doughboys. Written in 1939 by their piano player, Knocky Parker.

I added piano and drum.

Here's a little Ray Whitley & His 6 Bar Cowboys, song's called Come On Boys We're Ridin' Into Town.

I'm gonna take a moment to be thankful. That uke you see in my hands is new, to me. For a very long time it belonged to our host. Dave put out a call for a guitar a few weeks back after a student of his lost one in the fires. I hadn't touched mine in years so that was a no brainer. It also gave me an excuse to see my friend. When I delivered, TCK handed me this beautiful Kala 8-string. "It's yours". Took me a while to pull my jaw off the floor. So let me give thanks, for the ukulele of course, but mostly for the friends who are really more like family. When I was young I always thought friendships just come and go and that's the way of things. Now that I'm a bit wiser, and much older, I know the value of having someone in your life who you are just damn lucky to have met, let alone form a bond that is really beyond words. Yeah, I'm getting mushy, but it is Thanksgiving. So thanks. Here's a song. On a Kala 8-string given to me by my friend.

That’s an awesome story. In the end, the kid gets a guitar, you get the uke, and we all got to hear you and the ‘Dales performing together. In the end, it was a win for everyone and it all started with your spark of generosity.

Working on this song today for my Ukulele Swing songbook and I wondered if any Western Swing bands did it. Sure 'nuff.

Hope everyone had a wonderful day, and those of you on this side of the pond have eaten yourselves to delirium. Another excellent day of music for sure. These songs mean so much to me...to hear them played by you folks is a treat you cannot imagine.
Rex- Oklahoma Hills. As stated, this is my ALL TIME FAVORITE WS song, I reckon I picked correctly as it was written by Woody Guthrie and has been covered by everyone. Melissa will tell you I can get on a kick with this one that goes on for WEEKS. You did a bang up job on it and I am assuredly toe tapping and singing along.

Pa-Lonesome Train Blues. Cannot find whether he wrote it or not. Conqueror #9844 B side 6/29/1941 is all I get, but the Okey release of it has E.Smith credited. I am still trying to find out who that is, RABBIT HOLE. Anyway- excellent tune and we do love some Hank Penny around here. “Little Red Wagon” is also his. Nice job on it mate- love that harp. Mister Duncan and I discussed at length last not how darn good you are on that thing, and would like to offer our body of harp playing work as evidence.

Ryan- 60 Minute Man. No worries on borrowing from the Dominoes- that record is OUTRAGEOUS. Great work on this tune. I don't have the York Brothers version so I am off to see if I can get it. Great bring.

AlanDP- Home In San Antone. Though I'm out of money, I'm a millionaire...Excellent bring, I love this song and you have brought it just perfectly. Thanks for adding this to the list, and more melodica! How could I not love this?

Tootler. Maiden's Prayer. Even given my storied past with the recorder...this has me mesmerized my friend. Beautiful work here, just outstanding, and a song I can hear in my sleep note for note totally re-imagined and as if ti were brand new. Thanks for this one Tootler.

Pops and crew- I'm an Old Cowhand. Alan Terri AND Huck? Shoot, you know it isn't Christmas yet right? This is solid right here, and making me smile ear to ear. Has kind of a Lovett thing happening that I am totally down with. What is the other dogs name? BIg fun here folks!

AlanDP- Ida Sweet as Apple Cider. This is a beaut! Many feel the first true Western Swing Band ever was Milton Brown and his Musical Brownies, and this song was HUGE. You killed it mate, the strum, the vocals, the melodica...everything on this track is perfect. Your output this week has been incredible, but this one swings! Definitely needs to go in your set mate.

Sean- Come On Boys. Glad to see her already...she sounds great in your hands mate. Was great to see you this week even if briefly, and you made a kid and his people really happy with that old guitar. Fantastic DEEP bring here, killer sound and whistling (YAY!), and a lovely uke right there- play it into sawdust mate. Much love my friend.

Randy- Mama gets what she wants. I was wondering if we were going to get any Light Crust...Kind of the birthplace of all this so few seem to know so little about LOL. They are certainly putting forth a monumental effort for all the comments, then we have the folks that know it and offer some lessons. This is one of those right here, requisite tune, knocked right out! Excellent work mate.

Rex- Harvest Moon. Sure enough! I reckon most of the tunes in your Swing tune book were "westernized" at some point if they fell into the right era. In any event- this is a scorcher. Solid strum and rhythm, excellent singin', just laying it down right here. A delight. Thanks mate.

<TCK>This one is special...it is a great tune, but for me it has history now as well. Melissa and I do not go out to many movies because I like the X men and she likes chick flicks, but we both new we would like O Brother Where Art Thou. Just the music alone had us excited, but it was playing at a single theater in our county, thirty miles from where we lived at the time, and we waited until it was almost out of theater before we decided we had to go.
Picked up the last showing on Thursday night and were in the theater with maybe fifteen people, enjoying the movie as one does, and suddenly, a song I NEVER expected to be there comes on in the background. Bill Boyd and His Cowboy Ramblers doing the 1925 Irving Kind (not his real name...or their real names as it were) tune "Show Me The Way To Go Home." I love the song, so I started singing it, as did the guy a few rows ahead of us.
Mel came UNGLUED. "DAVE! STOP IT!!!"
"He is singing it too- why can't I?"
"You don't sing in the theater!" Through gritted teeth...you married the punk rocker sister. LOL
It was then I realized who the other voice was coming from. Melissa did not.
After the movie, we headed to Walgreens (big drug store) because Melissa remembers that we need stuff like toothpaste at 9:50 pm. I hear the same voice...the voice of my fellow theater singer, talking down one of the aisles. Melissa was looking for something and as a goof I suggested she check the aisle where two people, one of whom see recognized as the other movie theater singer. were busy clowning over something. Knowing this person is VERY private, I did not tell her what she was about to walk into.
Sufficed to say when she finally got hip...and did an about face with eyes as big as dinner plates.
In a manic whisper..."DAVE...THAT IS TOM WAITS!"
"I know."
For the record...if you want to go to the movies and sing, go with Kathleen Brennan, not Melissa.
</TCK>
Oh. and the song....

Last edited:
Here's one from Bing Crosby's brother Bob. He's more traditional swing than western swing but I hope it's got enough country elements in the lyrics to count. Released in 1935.

Slow Poke
recorded by Pee Wee King
written byPee Wee King, Redd Stewart, Chilton Price

some punk-swing-grass two little woodpeckers style.
a Bob Wills song with joojoo's gorgeous artwork.

I'm not sure if anyone has done any Hank Thompson yet. To me his sound is much more country than other Western Swing bands, still he is classified as Western Swing. All these genres have fuzzy edges.

Here is his signature song. Status Quo did a version in their inimitable style. Worth a listen?. For contrast here is the man himself

My second and last for this week is another Little Jimmy Dickens tune. It has the exact same chord structure as the last one, but is in another key. Once again it reveals details of life for the poor in the depression era.

This time I didn't have time to get Band in a Box on board, so it is just me and a uke. Hope you enjoy it. This was one of my Dad's favourites (and mine too as a kid in Lagos, Nigeria, where we lived).

Lyrics and Chords in the Youtube description.

Another one from the pen of Cindy Walker that no one has done yet.

In 2011, the state legislature designated western swing as the official state music of Texas.

On another subject, last night my daughter told me that a friend of hers was googling for ukulele covers and found my channel. She texted my daughter asking, "Does you dad have a youtube channel? I think I just saw him!" LOL

I hope there is room for one more on top of the world, as I join the group of people doing this song this week.

I tried to go a bit up-tempo, inspired by the Asylum Street Spankers version I first got to know the song from.

Yep agree with everything said here! Oh except the Cocaine Blues part - not familiar with that one either - unless JJ Cale was a western swing guy?

Isn't that the one that goes
Went downtown to have a little round
Took a shot of cocaine and I knocked folks down

or something like that?

Top Bottom