Season 301 of the Ukulele- Stay all night, Stay a little longer.

Great start gang! By no means is the list I posted in the intro a complete list at all...don't be scared to strike out, or ask what direction you oughta go in if you are stuck. I realize many may not be as fanatical about this stuff (or lot's of things) as I am. OK- Musings from the bandleader...
Pa- Stay a Little Longer. Love that you picked the “title track” for your first outing. Excellent rendition here with the tempo and smooth delivery I expected when I saw that you had done it. Very nicely done sir.

Wee- Smoke the Cigarette. The ways of a gentlemen I've been told. I love this old song, and you have certainly breathed new life into. Wonderful version here mate.

Recovering Bassist
- Rootie Tootie. One of my favorite Hank Williams rarities...Excellent rendition here, brought a huge smile. The Pee Wee King version is outta this world as well, all those recordings are treasures. He had a terrifyingly good accordion player in his band, so fun to hear. In fact- I have just learned that the man behind the accordion is Pee Wee himself...Never knew that. Nicely done!
I remember the first time this tune hit the seasons...it was the first season I won something. Second place, because Gina decided to play in her one and only season and brought this. Also worth a watch. One of my favorite Seasons vids ever (out of about a million). I play it as well, but my version is rubbish.

The Martins- The Devil Ain't Lazy. Benji ain't lazy NO SIREE!!!!! This is fantastic mate. Love the tempo, just knocked it out- Excellent version here, you may have just invented Ukulele Cow Punk my friend. AHHHHH HAAAAWWWWW. Happy to show ya some songs your not familiar with, there are some great ones in this rabbit hole

Wim- Sitting On Top Of The World. Nice work here! The Bob Wills version is very much like the Doc Watson version, with the exception that Bob Wills sang on the track...and Bob should have stuck to the fiddle. My favorite version is a scratchy old 78 from the Light Crust Doughboys- not sure who the crooner is but it is a great cut. Fantastic choice of tunes here. Love the little friends joining ya.

Last edited:
The first Asleep at the Wheel pure Bob Wills tribute record was unreal. (AATW, of course, has been playing Wills songs for nearly 50 years.) Here's a fun little tune the Dixie Chicks sang on the record.

Gonna be a lot of Bob Wills covers this week I reckon, and we got four more tonight! Had a great day with Ukuleledaddy and Mel, and now I have some music to listen to..perfect.
Pa- Ida Red. Love this song, and I'm a plum fool for this version. Nice work on it, and that special thing you bring is just right mate. Thanks for the song.

TCK- San Antonio Rose. The new addition to Punch Your Neighbor makes it! Keep that guy.

Randy- Bubbles in my Beer. Love this one my friend...as you can well imagine! The addition of the melodica makes it super special, as does that special little bit of joy you bring to everything you do.

Rick-Roly Poly. This is PERFECT for the week, and probably my favorite one to just whistle as I go through my day (well, this and G.I. Wish) I know for a FACT that I will be bringing this one on Thanksgiving Day.

Just a little reminder- a little digging will yield a hundred other great Western Swing bands, though Bob Wills is decidedly my favorite. It took me until I was 39 to collect all his stuff (I truly believe I have every recorded minute at this point).

Alan DP- Wonderful song right in the vein of what we are doing here, but it does not fit the guidelines which have been amended and highlighted for clarity. I want the old songs...and I know you know every dang one of them. Play me some.
Recovering Bassist- That was written in 1983, and I am a purist to a degree that only a few people get (and are constantly irritated by) . Great song for the island...great song period, but the guidelines ask for pre-1959. That is what I want to hear. The fun is in the digging.

And a little Hank Harral and his Palomino Cowhands because this is the sound.

And when the host gets to learn things....I had NO idea that Pee Wee King and Redd Stewart wrote this.
I DEMAND it immediately.

Recovering Bassist- That was written in 1983, and I am a purist to a degree that only a few people get (and are constantly irritated by) . Great song for the island...great song period, but the guidelines ask for pre-1959. That is what I want to hear. The fun is in the digging.

Sorry boss! Gotcha.

TCK, Mel Tillis has just passed. Was any of his stuff considered Texas Swing? Your thoughts?

I know Mel Tillis did a version of Cherokee Maiden, which is certainly a prime tune for this week, he may have some other old western swing covers too, probably did.

TCK, Mel Tillis has just passed. Was any of his stuff considered Texas Swing? Your thoughts?

Definitely a huge loss, though he did do a few WS covers. Regretfully, most of the Swing guys died many years ago...I have provided sounds for some of their funerals which is a great honor. Jimmy Wyble, when he died, was serenaded to that great sleep by your old friend the Cloverdale Kid. Mel is not one of them as he rose to prominence in the seventies, but he is a great part of country music. Bob Wills did a few tunes with the McKinney Sisters in the forties...that is a good bit of Western Swing for you to look at.

And Rose Maddox. she works all day with her brothers, as does Louise Massey & The Westerners.

Last edited:
Definitely a huge loss, though he did do a few WS covers. Regretfully, most of the Swing guys died many years ago...I have provided sounds for some of their funerals which is a great honor. Jimmy Wyble, when he died, was serenaded to that great sleep by your old friend the Cloverdale Kid. Mel is not one of them as he rose to prominence in the seventies, but he is a great part of country music. Bob Wills did a few tunes with the McKinney Sisters in the forties...that is a good bit of Western Swing for you to look at.

And Rose Maddox. she works all day with her brothers, as does Louise Massey & The Westerners.

Thanks for sharing all that, TCK!

Thanks for sharing all that, TCK!

Feeling super nostalgic...could be that my whole world has been blown up. could be that I am talking to Eugene Ukulele regularly....I don't know what it is, but that is where I am . I just want the old songs...as I know you folks can bring them.

More from the host...
AlanDP- Somewhere in San Antone. There is the thing. No one else will bring Ole Rasmussen, so this is so damn special. What an entry here- way to kick the ball completely over the fence my friend. Such a great bring as yeah...they were California.

Pa- You Belong To Me. Can I say I love ya? Thanks for bringing me this song because I love it and had no idea a few of my heroes had wri
tten it. Wrap that up with Pa and the silly smooth delivery...and this is bliss my friend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart mate.

I'll be with blue-eyed Sally way over on Shinbone Alley until further notice

Who in the world was that left handed fiddle player?

After I recorded this one I began to have a few doubts as to whether it was classed as Western Swing. I have looked around and some people are happy to say so, and some regard it as the start of honky tonk music. As I've already done it I've decided to add it, and you can do with it what you think is best.
I remember it being around as a hit out here in Oz in the mid to late 50s, but don't recall the artist at the time. If Ernest Tubb wrote it in 1941, then the 50s seems a bit late for him out here, even though we were always trailing in those days.

some Stuff Smith for ya Lefty.
maybe listen through headphones to receive your full payout. haha

Top Bottom