Season 301 of the Ukulele- Stay all night, Stay a little longer.

TCK

Reaction score
Howdy folks, it's me again.
Gather 'round friends, why hurry...
No video (again) because you folks get to see PLENTY of me. This week we are all going to nod, should we choose, toward my FAVORITE genre of music, Western Swing! I can't believe I have hosted ten seasons before I trotted this out. Pretty darn excited for this one.
What I am looking for here is the real deal. 1920's-1950's Western Swing bands, preferably large format. This may have been unclear at time of writing. I do not want anything else. If it was made after 1959...to the island with it.
Take me back to "barn dances" of 4000 people, the hey day of radio, the driving fiddle tunes (in this case Ukulele) that are the sound of yesteryear.
Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Spade Cooley Band, Bill Boyd and his Cowboy Ramblers, Louisse Massey, Arkie Shibley and his Mountain Dew Boys, Tex Ritter, Pee Wee King, and Hank Penny- as well as many more, there is a whole world of awesome songs here. I have collected this stuff since I was a kid, and my dad would wake me up every Saturday playing San Antonio Rose on his pedal steel guitar.
Not looking for country songs here, or anything made in my lifetime, so If you are stuck as for help and we will put you on the right track. Have fun and play as many darn songs as you like, Uke front and center, and don't start until the Hawaiian rooster crows.
ALSO- going back to the early days of the Seasons, I have four "Judges" (your friends and mine), and we will pick our top three favorites and award valuable prizes (LOL), just because every now and then we have to return to our roots.
All right- let the party begin. Comments, questions, clever anecdotes...
Here is a good start for ya, but dig a little and let your hair down if you'd like.
Playlist is HERE

Last edited:
Haw! :rock::music:

wills.jpg

Good fun. I've a couple already as it's not too far from some of the stuff we play in sessions here.

One vocal and one instrumental. Be a day or two, though before I can go out and acquire the necessary round tuit.

Excellent news! Hoping to knock one out tomorrow!

Oh really :wtf:? You do know what that means over this side of the pond don't you ?:smileybounce::biglaugh:

This may surprise some people here, but western swing isn't my area of expertise at all. I've always liked it, and played some of the standard stuff on bass over the years, but it was never something I studied or played extensively, so this is a challenge for me to attempt. I bought a CD many years ago that had old hillbilly boogie and western swing on it, and this fun song was on it, by Paul Howard and his cotton pickers. Fred Rose wrote this song in the late 40's, and had his protege Hank Williams cut a record on it. Pee Wee King did it as well. Paul Howard described his band as "western swing and boogie", and Paul Howard is credited to be the first person ever to play electric guitar on the Grand Ole Opry, where he was a popular performer. He was also one of the first to use three fiddles in harmony on the Opry.

This is a new genre for me. I think the only song I knew on the list was Cocaine Blues, but I really like everything I’ve listened to so far. This is going to be a fun week of learning and enjoying new music. Exactly what a good season should be. Thanks, TCK.

This is a new genre for me. I think the only song I knew on the list was Cocaine Blues, but I really like everything I’ve listened to so far. This is going to be a fun week of learning and enjoying new music. Exactly what a good season should be. Thanks, TCK.

Yep agree with everything said here! Oh except the Cocaine Blues part - not familiar with that one either - unless JJ Cale was a western swing guy?

Already off to a fantastic start! Loving these drops my friends, keep ‘em coming. Huge smiles on this end already!

Funny. Been watching quite a few Bob Wills videos from movies. They were hardly ever without their side arms. He was often fiddling away with his revolver strapped to his hip. Saw a video of them singing while hard at work collecting large hay bales - yep ALL wearing their guns.
A time of some fine hats though!!!

Top Bottom