Season 301 of the Ukulele- Stay all night, Stay a little longer.

Big Ball's in Cowtown!!!!!!!

This seems to have come out in '49, by Hoyle Nix's West Texas Cowboys. Nix wrote it, acc. to secondhandsongs.com. The Texas Playboys picked it up.
I was looking for something more identified with the Light Crust Doughboys, but wasn't successful, as they did anything and everything, although "Pussy, Pussy, Pussy" was one of theirs. Marvin "Smokey" Montgomery wrote it. He joined the Doughboys in '35 and stayed with it, eventually leading it.
I was looking for info because Smokey started the Dallas Banjo Band in 1989, and my brother is a member and seems to be having a good time for an old feller. :) They play pretty much what you would expect to hear from a bunch of tenor banjos and a tuba and bass guitar. A monthly concert is free to people at the bbq place where they practice, and they also do outside gigs. (dallasbanjoband.com)
This is short and a quick take.

Greetings,

Kind of bummed my rawhide parody didn't seem to make the play list but I only chose it because it was on the link in the opening post. Maybe it's not meant to be, or maybe I just missed it.

Ciao

Bob Wills and his Playboys did this way back when, but then again, so did just about everyone else! Still, it's a good tune!

After spending the long Thanksgiving weekend in the Mountains... a Hank Thompson tune. All of these are new to me so I picked a couple that I could learn reasonably quickly.

Also, this is the 1-year mark for me posting here, and in keeping with the Thanksgiving tradition I would be remiss if I didn’t thank all of you for your support and encouragement over the past 52 seasons. I’m not sure I’ve gotten any better, but I have tried some things I know I wouldn’t have otherwise, both in terms of musical genre and playing style. So, thanks.

Once again late to the party. The problem with waiting till the last minute is that most of the familiar songs are already posted. Yes, songs can be repeated. But it's fun to bring a new one. This is one of the very first songs I ever learned on ukulele all those many years ago. I've never thought of it as a Western swing tune. But it was recorded by Bob Wills in 1936 so I guess it works for this Season. I had good intentions of posting several vids - I love western swing. But here I am with a 32 second song. So it goes. Thanks for hosting such a great Season TCK!

Bless you, Pal!
I had this one in my sights but just couldn't get to it.
Are we to suppose that he wrote this for the Wife that he (allegedly?) shot for running around with Roy Rogers?

Shame, Shame on You by Spade Cooley.

It's been a good week; so much familiar music!

And here I thought you guys were done...shows what I know about these things. Yesterday was spent in the great push to get grades done for the trimester, which actually ended in the month we lost, so it was a bit of a push to say the least, but here I am again, being entertained a little more. Perfect.
Ralf- Tears in my eyes. What a beaut of a song Ralf, and a fantastic arrangement. Perfect performance, and the addition of Sal in the background is perfect!

Pa and Jon. Toodle-oodle-oo. Did not think we could make this better, but away we go! All of Australia is jumping to this one fellows. Fantastic fun right here gentlemen.

Dick- Big Balls In Cowtown. We certainly needed a Hoyle Nix tune this week, and this about the best of the bunch. Very well done sir. Perfect tempo and a great strum ya got happening there. Has my toe tapping for sure!

And Shame On You. Love this song..in fact, I played it this week. Really nice work here on this classic tune. Glad you made it to the party mate.

Randy. I can't Give You Anything But Love. YES!!!! My favorite version is of course Cliff Edwards, but I do adore this song, and you have a real gift for bringing the songs from this era. Fantastic work here Randy.

Desert- I left My Gal In The Mountains. Happy Season-i-versary mate! Great little tune right here, glad you made it to the party. Nice work on a song that was brand new to ya...a week can be intimidating, but just jumping in can be fun can't it? Here's to another year!

Myrna- Darktown Strutter's Ball. Bob's version of this is so much fun, but this is even more so! Thanks for coming by and bringing this great old tune with ya Myrna, glad you made it this week!

Desert- A broken heart and a glass of beer. Sweet old tune right here. Loving the strum you have going here, and the vocal fits it like a glove. Bob Wills is my all time favorite record maker, so I say the more the merrier. Nice work- thanks for bringing us a couple!

Be back later with winners and trinkets and an actual closing video...haven't done one of those in years.
Now for a Bob song. hmmmm.

AND WE'RE BACK! Finally got a wrap done....
Have to say my judges had their scores to me the day we finished up. That said, I am a SLACKER.
Thanks for an awesome week gang- so many great videos. Winners are getting some western swing ephemera hopefully soon :)

Really fun Season! Never tried to pick lead parts on Western Swings songs before this, so it was a really fun challenge to attempt it, and so much cool stuff to hear and learn from.

What a great theme this was. I only wish I could have done more for ya. Crazy week. I had good one all set up and ready to go. Damn cold had me down and out. Thanks for hosting Dave. And an excellent job I must say.

Yeehaw! Thanks to everybody and especially Dave for this fab week! There have really been many great contributions, so it's an honor to be one of the chosen.

It's really a shame that we did not have enough time for recording more songs because we really love Western Swing (and always wanted to record "Get With It" – perhaps the next opportunity).

So keep on ukin', seasonistas!

Great fun week Dave. Loved everything I listened to. I only wish I could have done more!

Congrats to all the deserving winners!

one written by jerry livingston, abner silver and mitchell parish in 1937
that I think was first recorded by bob wills.
over and out lefty. thanks for a swingin week mate.

Sure hope that Jon was a judge because if he wasn't he was robbed.
This is right up with the best I've seen here on the seasons. Glad it's still here. Watch it while you can....
That's for a great week Dave. Not a genre I've spent much time with but really enjoyed what I found.
The Ukelites are fab and that slide guitar work was just so in their wheel house.
Thanks for the shout out.

Greetings,

Great fun and thanks for hosting! Fantastic winners and great vids by all that contributed.

Ciao,
Gina

Thanks folks- glad everyone had a good time.
Of course Jon was one of the judges Pa :)
Prizes whisking their way across the globe- let me know when they arrive folks! Off to play Geoff a song

Top Bottom