Season 301 of the Ukulele- Stay all night, Stay a little longer.

So I had a look at a Spotify playlist this morning and some of it probably doesn't count but there's a bunch of songs from various Fallout soundtracks that I love that will probably fit the bill.

This is one of them and although it wasn't on the play list I've always thought it's in a similar vein to the Smoke Smoke Smoke song Rob posted yesterday. So from Elton Britt in 1955 here's uranium fever.

Also I'm losing my voice this week so this might be one and done for me.

This is one I did last year for the "long title, short song" Season, but here is the 2017 version. It was recorded by Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys, and also by the wonderfully named Jim Boyd & The Light Crust Doughboys. Written in 1924, according to the sheet music, which I was amazed to find in the online archive of the library here in York.

And another Bob Wills song! Written and also recorded by Cindy Walker (who wrote a lot of songs for Wills in the 1940s.) This version is brought to you by that newly discovered (unfortunately!) Western Swing Band, Limousin Lil and the Lost Chords!

Here's a Bob Wills classic, that had Tommy Duncan on the vocal. I've always liked this song, and it's been recorded by countless other artists over the years. Not the kind of song I would normally sing, but I had fun attempting to play it.

Wrap-up video for Season 299 is up. You may now return to your regularly scheduled Season.

Season 301. Submission 1. "The Wayward Wind" (Written by Herb Newman and Stan Lebowsky, 1956)

This song has been famously recorded by Tex Ritter (1956), Gogi Grant, Patsy Cline and Crystal Gayle.

Thank you for hosting, TCK! Great great theme!

Last edited:
An old standard that Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys recorded, and it has been recorded by numerous others. I don't know how many times I've played along with this song and the local jam band. Now I get to sing it, too!

After a long day of work this is just what the doctor ordered folks, some excellent tunes this evening!
Rustty- Walking the Floor Over You. More of a Country tune, but definitely one that was done by EVERYBODY. In fact, I have heard that this is the first song Elvis learned to play on a guitar. Great job on this one mate! One of my all time favorite songs.

Pancho- You'se a Viper. Hahahahahahaha- You are hilarious my friend! Great tune right here, well delivered as expected. Nicely done Pancho!

Ryan-Uranium Fever. Elton Britt was a comedian at the time, and I bet he opened for the big acts more than once. Totally counts, and a great bring. One I was not expecting at all. Well Done!

Stan-Kansas City Kitty.Poor Frisco Kate...This is a fantastic bring right here, one of my favorite old tunes and delivered with such aplomb. Perfect tune right here. Dave Stuckey (a contemporary Western Swingster) does a bang up job on this one as well.

Steve- I had someone else. I used to think Tommy Duncan's vocal on this was about as good as music could get, but my mind has been changed. What a scorching version of this fantastic tune you have laid down right here. I am whistling so loudly that the windows are shaking...AAAAAAAAHHHH HHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!

Val-It's all Your Fault. I knew I would get an outfit this week...but a zazzoo as well? BONUS. This is a great bring Val, and you did a great job with it. Cindy Walker wrote so many great songs, glad to see of hers here. Nice bring.

RB- The Kind Of Love I can't Forget. Nice intro licks there! Such a great old tune, those Tommy Duncan tunes are so very special. Very nice work on this...man I gotta learn how to do those fills. So nice.

The Ukulites- San Antonio Rose. YES!!!!!!! The sound is brilliant, that steel sounds so good, and then we get costuming as well? We are a very lucky audience I tell ya. This is fantastic guys, thanks for comin' buy and playing it for us ;) Just brilliant.

Linda- The Wayward Wind. Great choice Linda, and what a fit for your style! This is gonna sound bad, but I have never heard the Tex Ritter version of this. It is likely no where near as nice as this. Very well done.

Alan DP- Right Or Wrong. What a song this is, and you did a great job with it. Handled the whistling to I might add. Great choice here, thanks for playing this one for us.

My Little Red Wagon. Where I learned to whistle...LOVE these old tunes, This is one I trot out all the time, and yes, as far as know it was first done by Mr. Penny. Excellent choice again, and so well delivered. Very nice work here.

Keep 'em coming gang!

This song was done by thousands, my favorite version being Bill Boyd and his Cowboy Ramblers.

Recorded many times by Bob Wills.
I'm surprised how bluesy some of this western swing stuff is.

No chord sheet for Charlie - I just tell her the chords and she remembers them. She's never heard the song and 10 minutes later she accompanies me while I read the words and sing. And she is having way more fun than it appears. She said she just didn't want to stuff up - like I did on my harp part - but yep one take rule applied.....

Last edited:
Pa beat me to it with this one, but what the heck, it has been one of my favourite oldies for a while. Never had it down as Western Swing, but if TCK says so...

Greetings,

Possibly the strangest vid I've ever done, but it is a parody of Rawhide for this season and Turkey Day. I hope you find it amusing in some way, I needed to be cheered up. My brother is very ill, and I'm trying to distract myself. Joy and happiness to all.

Ciao

Ok TCK,
Heres a quick one. I told myself that if no one had done this song by this morning I would bring it. There's another Id like to get here and Ill try. Today is the day I need to get my tree up. Yep! I'm one of those people that loves the three and feels like Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without it. Plus I'm leaving town tomorrow and I don't want to do it when I get home :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Greetings,

There is so much to do for Thanksgiving, and between visits to see my brother in hospital and trying to cook some vegan and regular meals for the family I am hoping to lay down another vid. But after viewing my previous post, maybe it's better I don't!
I went to Walmart and bought one of those lights you plug in and it casts a light pattern on your house - you know it's pretty cool. I recommend them for those that used to like the disco ball effect, it reminds me of that. It casts a pattern even in my front porch and it's quite beautiful.

Ciao

Top Bottom