New models from Romero Creations?

My TT solid top spruce has body width at heal of 3 1/8" deep. I first ready about this on BAZ's review. His theory was perhaps they designed the deeper body for more resonance using a laminate mahogany back and sides. I would suspect this is the case. My TT , solid top is a cannon. The spruce top and laminate really works well together. I love mine. So, much so, that I' considering a solid Koa version just to try something different. I'm sure RC would let you know body depth on the new RT solid top, when they come out.

The TT are some of the nicest ukuleles I've played. I really wasn't sure about the shape but now that I've played one for three weeks......... I love it. Tuner are great, build quality is great. ...... and I wanted to try the string thru bridge.

I believe the body size is the same and watching RC video on another thread the RT does have the same body size as the TT as per Pepe himself.

Good luck! I don't think anyone would be unhappy with the solid top version and the all solid TT look great. I'm sure the new RT's will be the same.

I was interested in the Tiny Tenor for business travel, but the fingerboard and bridge are Rosewood, so not a good choice for international travel, (I have seen literature since that says that some Tiny Tenors have Ebony fingerboards and bridges). I did purchase an all Mahogany Replica. The build is first rate. I have only had it for a few days and I want to try some different strings, but I think that it is a fine instrument and a real bargain.

Last edited:
I was interested in the Tiny Tenor for business travel, but the fingerboard and bridge are Rosewood, so not a good choice for international travel, (I have seen literature since that says that some Tiny Tenors have Ebony fingerboards and bridges). I did purchase an all Mahogany Replica. The build is first rate. I have only had it for a few days and I want to try some different strings, but I think that it is a fine instrument and a real bargain.

Congratulations and Thanks for the info on your Romero Replica mahogany tenor. Could you say how it compares to your cedar/mahogany Pono tenor?

Congratulations and Thanks for the info on your Romero Replica mahogany tenor. Could you say how it compares to your cedar/mahogany Pono tenor?

I enjoy them both very much. The Pono has the beveled arm rest and side sound port and has 14 frets to the body compared to the Romero’s 12. The bracing and top material are very different, so The tone varies , but not as much as I would expect. The Romero is more expressive and the Pono is more forgiving. Tone is somewhere between a good classical guitar and a Ukulele for both.

A wise man said that comparison is the thief of joy. They are different, which makes owning them both worth while. It would be hard to choose one over the other, and I haven’t had the Romero long enough to know which I would let go if that was to happen. I did not like the Pono with the original strings, but I love it with Aquila Reds.

Pepe also recently built a Guilele version of the Tiny Tenor that will be released in the Romero Creations line in about a year and a half:
Aargh! Why such a long wait?

Thanks for your comparison of the Romero Replica and the Pono MS, Django.

Anyone else got to try one of the new Replica models?

Just a side note, my solid top TT has walnut fretboard and bridge. Rosewood is on the way out due to rosewood restrictions. The walnut is dark and looks and feels great. I like it. I did see the spaulted Mango all solid TT had ebony. I suspect you will see changes in future. I’m planning a six month retirement trip so My TT is likely what I will take. It sounds great, is small......... so Perfect forbtravel. I’ll get an all solid TT at some point in future and will see outbmodel with fretboard and bridge in ebony or Walnut or something different! I’d love to play a Replica also. They look great. RC are doing some excellent things with their product line up. The new ST Concert is a great example. Can’t wait to play one and hear and see the different. Talk about a travel Uke. The ST would be great if concert scale is you thing

Looks like the Romero Replica model will be introduced in the more affordable line with a solid Spruce top, but laminate back and sides later this year. To be honest, I might actually prefer the simpler look with the Meander rosette and satin finish. And the sound seems to be huge. Just listen to Jason Arimoto - what a great musician:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktOWHHgmb4

Last week I got my hands on "The Replica" if only for a few minutes. I'm not good enough to make a solid evaluation. But, I mostly did some arpeggios and really loved the width of the fretboard and the Tenor scale fits me well. The intonation was spot on - of course. The sound was beautiful but I only have my TT solid Mahogany to compare it to. I'm not a big fan of Spruce tops . . . and in MHO the sound was "tight." Obviously, a better player can rock this uke.

Last edited:
I got super excited yesterday as I browsed the Elderly website and saw the ST concert in spruce top/laminate body listed as “in stock.” I was about to add that baby to my cart, but decided to check with them first. It’s an error and they have yet to fix it. Bummer!

Looks like the Romero Replica model will be introduced in the more affordable line with a solid Spruce top, but laminate back and sides later this year. To be honest, I might actually prefer the simpler look with the Meander rosette and satin finish. And the sound seems to be huge. Just listen to Jason Arimoto - what a great musician:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktOWHHgmb4

Beautiful instrument and great songs, I’ll be on the lookout for the EP. I’m getting more and more excited to get my hands on my XS Soprano. I’ve got the solid top budget model, but I’m excited non the less!

Top Bottom