Acoustic Guitarist - decision follow-up

LNW

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! All the support, advice, and input on this forum has been tremendous. You guys are awesome! Since I know follow-up responses within a thread in forums get lost in oblivion, I thought I'd post a follow-up response with my decision status.

I am feeling a lot more confident that I will be able to learn and adapt my long guitar-familiar fingers to a smaller ukulele fret, giving it some time more than my couple 20 minute play sessions at a guitar store.

I decided I'll go with a Concert Size, since it's popular and middle-ground between the Soprano and Tenor (which are quite different in sound).

I have narrowed my options to either the Donner DUC (concert size) or the Cordoba 15 CM (concert size), based on reading lots of reviews and my experience having played Cordoba guitars before and enjoying them. My guiding thoughts were that I don't want to break the bank, but want a relatively inexpensive mid-level-quality instrument to learn on. I want one that I won't feel too scared letting the kids play with or taking out camping in the cold (which it sounds like if I focus especially on ensuring proper humidity in the case, that'll go a long way). I think I am leaning more towards the Cordoba, though, because I've played the Cordoba guitars before and thought they both played and sounded great. [For instance, if I ever buy a mini guitar, I'd definitely go with the Cordoba mini guitar - no question.]

You are way way way overthinking this. The switch from guitar to basic uke playing is easy. The intensity in your post is painful.

As far as the uke. I teach uke and encourage my students to get an entry level Kala or Ohana. Cordoba makes some nice ukes, but in my experience they are inconsistent and I hate the tuners they use. There are plenty of options in entry level ukes, but Kala and Ohana are the pros. If you stick with it and want to take it seriously (not everyone does) then a year from now you'll have a completely different idea of what works for you. Concert is a good choice for starting out but if you do have large hands you should probably go for the tenor. It will take a while to know which size is really the best for you. I have played many inexpensive ukes, and since I teach uke classes so I get to try a wide range of ukes that my students have. There are a plethora of Chinese "brands" that can potentially be a decent beginner uke, but for every one that is OK I have come across about 10 that are complete junk. So you can get lucky or not. Even uke brands like Cordoba or Luna can be great, or not. Most of my students are playing ukes that are subpar in their setup or condition. Even when they have one that is medium price it was often hung on the wall at a music store and dried out with bad fret ends or action that is too high. A lot of them show up with a Mitchell or Oscar Schmidt that is shiny with lots of pretty binding and bling but with an overly thick top and dead tone. I never heard of Donner so unless you've got one you can try before you buy, don't. Some Cordoba ukes are really great, but again, try before you buy. (Watch the tuners, they use tuners on some of their ukes that are overly loose and hard to tune with precision).

If you can't try before you buy and if you don't have a friend who can play who can help you evaluate, then Kala or Ohana. Period.

If you go with the Cordoba, I'd suggest this as the place to buy it from. I have not purchased from them but have chatted with them in the past & they were very nice. They carry lots of Cordoba instruments & I believe they will do a set-up for you. Have fun with your new ukulele and beware.....the starter uke can be a gateway drug :)
https://allstringsnylon.com/nylon-string-instruments/ukuleles?cat=92#qpf

Don't forget the folk at Mainland - their concerts are really excellent, all solid wood and well set up.

I agree with Katysax, don't over think it. As I mentioned earlier, I came from guitar and it was a fairly easy transition to uke. Also, in my uke group of about 60, a number of people have the Cordoba 15 CM and I find the uke to be inferior, difficult to tune with low quality tuning machines. You would be much better off with a Kala or Ohana.

In the first year of playing, I went through 16 ukes, very much caught up in uke acquisition syndrome (which I actually enjoy). I spent an average of $175, but by the end of the year I got a good idea of the sound and feel I liked and sold or gifted all but the four I liked the most, which was actually prompted when I bought what is now my go to gig uke, a Kala solid cedar and acacia that sells for $379 (I traded in 3 for it, so I paid $150).

If you can't find anything to try, check with Mimsukes.com, she will steer you right and does free setups. She recommended the Kala to me, and I'm very grateful.

Last edited:
You are way way way overthinking this. The switch from guitar to basic uke playing is easy. The intensity in your post is painful.

As far as the uke. I teach uke and encourage my students to get an entry level Kala or Ohana. Cordoba makes some nice ukes, but in my experience they are inconsistent and I hate the tuners they use. There are plenty of options in entry level ukes, but Kala and Ohana are the pros [...]

Everything katysax said. You want a uke for the kids, get a uke for the kids. You want a camping uke, get a camping uke. If you love Fender guitars and think it translates to ukes, you’d be sorely mistaken. And you don’t need to start a new thread to find that out. Your first thread has a lot of good information in it.

Get a good uke, don’t overthink it, and stick with it. With al the ideas you have for it, don’t think it will be your last uke either. There’s a uke for every purpose and you’re not going to find one uke that does it all, but at least listen to some sage advice and get an uke that’s tried and true—if even by you.

As far as the uke. I teach uke and encourage my students to get an entry level Kala or Ohana. Cordoba makes some nice ukes, but in my experience they are inconsistent and I hate the tuners they use. There are plenty of options in entry level ukes, but Kala and Ohana are the pros. If you stick with it and want to take it seriously (not everyone does) then a year from now you'll have a completely different idea of what works for you. Concert is a good choice for starting out but if you do have large hands you should probably go for the tenor. It will take a while to know which size is really the best for you. I have played many inexpensive ukes, and since I teach uke classes so I get to try a wide range of ukes that my students have. There are a plethora of Chinese "brands" that can potentially be a decent beginner uke, but for every one that is OK I have come across about 10 that are complete junk. So you can get lucky or not. Even uke brands like Cordoba or Luna can be great, or not. Most of my students are playing ukes that are subpar in their setup or condition. Even when they have one that is medium price it was often hung on the wall at a music store and dried out with bad fret ends or action that is too high. A lot of them show up with a Mitchell or Oscar Schmidt that is shiny with lots of pretty binding and bling but with an overly thick top and dead tone. I never heard of Donner so unless you've got one you can try before you buy, don't. Some Cordoba ukes are really great, but again, try before you buy. (Watch the tuners, they use tuners on some of their ukes that are overly loose and hard to tune with precision).

If you can't try before you buy and if you don't have a friend who can play who can help you evaluate, then Kala or Ohana. Period.

Great advice from Katysax..........and not because I said Kala or Ohana in your first thread:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Again order one in your price range from Mim or Uke Repulic or HMS and have complete peace of mind you are getting a good one with a good set up.

Last edited:
Great advice from Katysax..........and not because I said Kala or Ohana in your first thread.

Again order one in your price range from Mim or Uke Repulic or HMS and have complete peace of mind you are getting a good one with a good set up.

Agreed! You can also order a reasonably-priced solid wood (not laminate) uke from Mainland Ukuleles, and get a good uke with a good setup.

I'm a long-time guitar player and found it very easy to learn to play ukulele as well. Like others, I went through a lot of ukes to find what I like best. (Fortunately, ukes are generally less expensive than guitars! :cool:)

Concert ukulele is a happy medium between Soprano and Tenor, and that's the size I started with. But I mostly play Tenor ukes now, because the Tenor size makes it easier for me to switch between guitar and ukulele.

Tenor ukes also tend to have more volume and sustain, and better intonation, than the smaller sizes.

Just my two cents. :)

Agreed! You can also order a reasonably-priced solid wood (not laminate) uke from Mainland Ukuleles, and get a good uke with a good setup.

I'm a long-time guitar player and found it very easy to learn to play ukulele as well. Like others, I went through a lot of ukes to find what I like best. (Fortunately, ukes are generally less expensive than guitars! :cool:)

Concert ukulele is a happy medium between Soprano and Tenor, and that's the size I started with. But I mostly play Tenor ukes now, because the Tenor size makes it easier for me to switch between guitar and ukulele.

Tenor ukes also tend to have more volume and sustain, and better intonation, than the smaller sizes.

Just my two cents. :)

All great advice Steedy, I am a tenor fan also.

The OP stated in thr original post that he/she had a budget of $100.00. But I agree with you on Mainland, unfortunately it's outta the price range.

There are many, including folks at TheUkuleleSite.com (Hawaii Music Supply) who feel the Cordoba 15CM may be the best all laminate concert uke anywhere near it's price range. The ones I've heard have been superior. As one replier said, depends on the model. I have seen this uke go for as little as $79 new. There are quite a few on ebay under $100, but I get iffy as the price goes up. If you are even a little artsy craftsy, minor setup work is not rocket science and there are many tutorials. Many players don't want to bother with learning.

I usually recommend at least a solid topped model if it's within your budget with many models by Kala, Ohana and others. Since you want a mid-level model, why not drop the two you mentioned and get a Mainland, nicer Kala, or even a used Pono. I'd be surprised if you were satisfied for long with an entry level one like the two you mentioned. You can catch some real "steals" here on our Marketplace and at the Fleamarket one. Many fine ukes like Pono can be purchased at huge savings on ebay and have no setup issues as they were usually purchased from reputable dealers originally. MIM's has her store on ebay as well. Just my take on the matter.

Just to clarify to the OP....

This is just my humble observation based upon discussions here on UU in the past 4 yrs:

Most folks here on UU consider the ~$100 starting price for a starter uke, and about $300 the starting price for a mid-level and then upper-level is starting at about $600 and the sky is the limit after that.

Calling $100 'mid-level' is truly setting yourself up for disappointment and evidence of being misinformed.

There are lots of playable and functional, decent sounding ukes in the $100-150 price range, but most of them will be ALL LAMINATE, and one needs to understand this.

I have not played any Cordoba ukes, but have a Cordoba Mini SM-CE and am very happy with it for what it is.

I would also agree with the mention that a 'good' guitar company does NOT necessarily automatically translate into making good ukes. Most ukes made by guitar companies are heavy, quiet and overbuilt since they are built like a scaled-down guitar, which while similar, despite appearances, a ukulele has much weaker forces acting upon and within it's structure than a guitar and needs to be built accordingly.

For example, a 25" scale classical guitar needs to be able to handle and resonate the top with anywhere for 80-120 lbs of total string tension, whereas a tenor ukulele usually is built to tolerate an average of about 42 lbs of string tension, a concert ~34 lbs and a soprano ~28 lbs, and if these instruments are built same as classical guitar style, they will not be optimized for the best sound and resonance at the smaller scale, so one must take into account the application of sound wave resonance and physics when applied to the size and scale of each instrument as an ukulele is NOT just a 'tiny guitar'.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
I agree that you can get at least as good a uke as a kala or Ohana for less. You are also as likely to get one for as much or more that is not as good. I have been lucky with enya probably the same as Donner. I have 2 concerts that I bought for students for $22 each. They are fine but a little weird. I just think that if you don’t have a friend you can trust or a good shop kala and ohana are the best bet. Some of my students spent a lot more money and came up with ukes that are awful. My only problem with Cordoba is that they usually use tuners with too much play in them. One of my students has a mainland for which he spent a lot and the neck is bent. Just get a uke and start playing. You’ll figure it out. Don’t spend too much because you’ll either quit or keep playing and buy something else. I care less about the uke now than I did in the past. Mostly I play a mya moe for high g and a Clara for low g. Neither is the best uke I have or close to it. They just feel comfortable in my hands. Most of the tone comes from me. The main thing is a uke that you can play in tune and the action not too high.

If you want something to take out camping in the cold and to let the kids play with, buy an inexpensive, all-laminate uke. As others have written, Kala and Ohana are both good choices for an entry-level instrument. You can upgrade later after you have some experience and know what you want in a nicer instrument.

I've played a few Cordobas and find my Caramels equal or better for a lot less money. I have a couple of Ohanas that are nice ukes but 3-5X the price of my Caramels. More than a few folks here on UU have bought Caramels and over 90% are very happy with them.

Mim will steer you right and she sells more Ohanas than anyone. My Ohana CK-22 is a very nice uke but as a solid spruce top is a bit 'brittle' sounding, but the feel and play-ability is wonderful. About $165 and you might find it cheaper.

My Caramel CC-100 is all laminate but is a great uke ~equal to my CK-22 and only cost $55, though it did need some tweeking. Even so the $20 for a set up adjustment didn't hurt much at all. My CT-100 tenor only cost $65 and didn't need any tweeking at all. Plus they came with a tuner and equalizer built in.

If you decide you want the Cordoba, I have one in mint condition that I was about to post on the Marketplace. I just received my KoAloha, so I am going to let this one go. PM if you decide that is the one you'd like to try.

I just received an Enya concert which was $20 with Amazon Prime - I am not sure if there are any left. I think it is amazing value and it is going to a friend in Peru who wants to start on ukulele. Others on the forum have bought a couple - there may be none left by now - worth a look. Just checked it is now back up to $35. IMHO it is still worth looking at.

I just received an Enya concert which was $20 with Amazon Prime - I am not sure if there are any left. I think it is amazing value and it is going to a friend in Peru who wants to start on ukulele. Others on the forum have bought a couple - there may be none left by now - worth a look. Just checked it is now back up to $35. IMHO it is still worth looking at.
No kidding! I got the tenor laminate mahogany for $45 and it's amazing. I need to lower the saddle a bit, but otherwise it's perfect. Sparkling bright and loud and easy to play. I can't believe how good it sounds. And it plays easy too. I also accidentally ordered that laminate sapele concert and it's very good. More mellow than the tenor, and needs the saddle lowered. I'd keep it if I could figure out why I need six ukuleles. It will go to a beginner player.

No kidding! I got the tenor laminate mahogany for $45 and it's amazing. I need to lower the saddle a bit, but otherwise it's perfect. Sparkling bright and loud and easy to play. I can't believe how good it sounds. And it plays easy too. I also accidentally ordered that laminate sapele concert and it's very good. More mellow than the tenor, and needs the saddle lowered. I'd keep it if I could figure out why I need six ukuleles. It will go to a beginner player.

That is why I am thinning and passing the Enya on to a beginner - Did the strap buttons arrive? I mailed at the end of October before I went to Peru.

That is why I am thinning and passing the Enya on to a beginner - Did the strap buttons arrive? I mailed at the end of October before I went to Peru.
Please forgive me! I have been meaning to thank you for sending them. Now I can di so in public. Yes they arrived, thanks. These Enyas don't need them, but something will!

Please forgive me! I have been meaning to thank you for sending them. Now I can di so in public. Yes they arrived, thanks. These Enyas don't need them, but something will!

Thanks - that is welcome news.

Top Bottom