2018 Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival

mitchchang

Reaction score
Given all the out-of-towners who've been attending the festival, I wanted to make the announcement for the 2018 festival as early as possible so folks can make their plans (I know there are a lot of advance planners)

September 22, 2018 Torrance Cultural Arts Center, Torrance CA.

Very stoked to have Aaron & Nicole Keim and Taimane Gardner for the first time! Returning artists Abe Lagrimas, Ukulenny, Cynthia Lin, John Atkins aka "The Ukulele Teacher" from Youtube and more to be announced!

As always, just one flat fee gets you in the door, all the workshops you want to take, and all-star performances all day: $45 for EVERYTHING

If you grab your tickets between now and November 30, you'll save a few bucks and be automatically entered to win an Ohana ukulele! You must use promo code earlybirdukulele to get the discount and be counted as an entry into the giveaway. Ticket link: www.kalakoa.tix.com

Recommended hotels closest to the venue: Marriott Residence Inn Torrance/Redondo Beach, Howard Johnson, Best Western

Be sure to join the email list at www.losangelesukulelefestival.com for festival updates and other local happenings throughout the year and stay tuned for more details to follow.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Awesome!
We had so much fun at this year's event.
Thanks for posting the date early so start planning.
Yah!!!

I couldn't make the last one, but our group, The CC Strummers will be playing next year and really looking forward to it.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Yipee! Just bought my ticket. Thanks for the discount code! Really want to watch Taimane Gardner and Cynthia Lin and all the rest!.

your wish has been granted - haven't had a chance to add her to the website yet but Marlowe will be performing at the festival this year!

Hi Mitch, have you heard of Christine Cunningham in Oregon? Can you fit her in at the LA Festival this year? If you don't know who she is you have to listen to her music. She's not a pro (as far as I know) but, she sparkles. So musical, such a voice, love her playing. She's always posting her videos so she must have a good library of her stuff.

I may try to drive over from Phoenix this year. Would love to meet Aaron and see Taimane

It'll be so worth the drive! Very reasonably priced hotels very close to the venue. No room for Christine at this time but an FYI for everyone: am scheduling a bunch of open mic times throughout the day, I hope folks will participate

RIP Ray Masters aka Ukulele Ray - don't know what happened but it was apparently sudden and unexpected. He was so looking forward to playing in this year's festival (and we were looking forward to having him) but we will save a "spot" in our hearts for him.

Please check out the updated website: www.losangelesukulelefestival.com

Added the schedule for the day, videos, artist info pages. Note: workshops are 45 min instead of an hour and each topic will be taught twice, so you don't have to worry about missing out on a certain class. This also allows us to adjust the schedule so that everyone can see all the performances or use that time to grab something to eat, browse the vendors or jam with new friends!

Hope to make it, really nice to have such advanced notice for planning etc.

FESTIVAL UPDATE: Kris Fuchigami performance added!

Born and raised on the Big Island of Hawaii, 13 year old Kris Fuchigami began his musical journey with an old beat up ukulele in his hands and a strong desire to master that tiny little instrument. 2 years later Kris won the grand prize at the Hamakua Music Scholarship Competition on the Big Island where he competed against classical pianists, singers, drummers, and many other genres of musicians. Kris went on to headline, and perform at many ukulele festivals and has gained recognition throughout the world.

In 2016 he was nominated for the prestigious Na Hoku Hano Hano Award in Hawaii for the Instrumental Composition of the Year category with his original composition of Moemoea, which he was inspired to write during a performing tour in Tahiti.

Really looking forward to seeing Kris. Saw him a few months ago at U-Space in Downtown LA. He did a performance with his mom on piano (as always) and afterwards he did a great fun seminar. He's exceptional.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I took a workshop with her at Boulevard Music in Culver City a couple of years ago. She's heavy into blues. Just looked at her bio, born in LA and her first name is Leilani, how appropriate for a uke player.

Food update: Will have two food vendors inside the attendees area this time: Rutt's Cafe (very good Hawaiian food) in the Toyota Meeting Hall and LALA Catering in Ken Miller Rec Center

Also food trucks Brewwings and Serendoggity and Tasty Block Shave Ice will be back! Check out the schedule at http://www.kalakoa.com/ukulele/schedule.html and you'll see there'll be more time to grab a bite, browse vendors, etc without sacrificing workshop time and the chance to enjoy the performances.

Top Bottom