Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Box Ukulele in the Hawaiian Style New Concert Scale

Default Cigar Box Ukulele in the Hawaiian Style New Concert Scale

This cigar box ukulele is was inspired by the cigar box ukuleles built by Kamaka some years ago.

It has a concert scale with a wide nut.

This ukulele is a true acoustic instrument...not a novelty. It has the volume of a soprano.

The tuners are Pegheads with internal gears. They have the look and feel of ebony.

Asking $310 plus shipping.

Thanks for looking.

Where are you located? Where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by perep View Post
    Where are you located? Where did you get it?
    I build ukuleles and other stringed instruments here in Colorado Springs. I have built a lot of cigar box ukuleles over the years. I was intrigued by the cigar box ukuleles that Kamaka has built, so I built this cigar box in that style.

Intriguing looking Uke. Tell us more about it.
    Tenor:
    Mya Moe Classic Koa #2052

Concert:
    Hoffmann ML Style Cedar/Ebony, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C Mahogany/Spruce, , Knaile'a KPA C Premium Koa, Kiwaya KMC-K Koa, Pono RC-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood, Kala Waterman KA CWB Green

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:
    Lanikai LU-21 Laminate Mahogany (My Very First Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary Koa, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire" Koa, Romero Creations XS Soprano Spalted Mango, Ohana SK 50G Cedar/Rosewood, Kala KA ASAC-S Acacia

Back in the 60's Kamaka made a handful of cigar box ukuleles. I have always been intrigued by the simple style of the peg head. Definitely has Japanese influences.
    There is a new book about cigar box ukuleles written by William Jehle which has scale drawings of the Kamaka cigar box ukuleles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tukanu View Post
    Back in the 60's Kamaka made a handful of cigar box ukuleles. I have always been intrigued by the simple style of the peg head. Definitely has Japanese influences.
    There is a new book about cigar box ukuleles written by William Jehle which has scale drawings of the Kamaka cigar box ukuleles.
    Lovely looking instrument, and I like its simplistic lines. I guess that the curved back makes a big difference to the sound.

I take it you mean ‘One Man’s Trash, a History of the Cigar Box Guitar’, https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Mans-Tr.../dp/1453802398
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 11-22-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Very cool, wish I had the extra cash...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Bill has a new book out that deals exclusively with the Kamaka style cigar box ukuleles.

The curved back makes an unbelievable difference in the volume. Also, the back and sound board have been thinned to about 1/16th inch which really opens up the resonance. Most cigar box ukuleles are simply a neck attached to an un-altered box, and cannot vibrate and produce much volume.
    Last edited by Tukanu; 11-22-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Very lovely. Pm sent.
    Ukes: Kamaka, Kanilea, Martin, Haiku, Luna, Ko'Aloha

To My Heroes of WW2: All gave some; some gave all; Nisei solders gave more.

Thread Information