Rosewood Baritone steel string from Aaron’s Music Service

Doc_J

Reaction score
This baritone is why I keep an eye out for unusual ukes that interest me (found this on Reverb). Here’s a hand-built all Rosewood baritone with steel strings, built by Rob (don’t know his last name) at Aaron’s Music Service on Main Street in Vicksburg, Michigan. In short this uke is amazing. Didn't really expect it to be this good.

Lots of the design elements go against traditional preferences. The top is rosewood (solid), as is the body, fretboard and bridge. It’s got steel strings on a 19-inch (+ a little compensation) scale with cross bracing under the top. The neck is thicker than any of 150+ ukes I’ve played, much like a guitar neck, the fretboard has a nice radius and is 1.5”wide at the nut. The frets are BIG guitar frets. However, it all works amazing well. It’s super comfortable and easy to play, and intonates near perfect. AND, the tone is outstanding. Sold my awesome Pono UL-4 steel string to get this…No regrets. I prefer the familiar 19” scale, the feel and tone of this. https://flic.kr/s/aHskrUAbS3

This uke is not without flaw. Its gloss finish has few minor flaws: a few finish craze lines and imperfections, and the frets are not done to a professional standard of finish and polish, but who cares when it plays, feels and sounds this good.

https://app.box.com/s/ap6xncfqhgiox8y8sntsaok5lox3w26d

https://app.box.com/s/fjox8qwmd5bxhpgrhyrcu6f7jn14qcyp

Don’t know how many baritones that Rob at Aaron’s Music Service has made (just a couple I think), but I sure hope he keeps building baritones.

2017-11-22 20.55.14 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150516092@N02/, on Flickr
2017-11-22 20.54.35 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150516092@N02/, on Flickr
2017-11-22 20.54.45 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150516092@N02/, on Flickr
2017-11-22 20.54.56 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150516092@N02/, on Flickr

Last edited:
It sounds great! Steel string ukuleles are rare. (I'm a big fan of steel string ukuleles - I have a Compass Rose steel string baritone and a Sexauer steel string tenor.) This one looks and sounds like a keeper. Congratulations!

Ah come on Hodge, stop doing stuff like this to me..........hahaha!!! Beautiful find, so unique, all Rosewood and really pretty. Congratulations that really is quite the score

Congrats on such a fine sounding and looking instrument!

I am loving the tone, as well as the sustain.

Best of luck with it! :) :music:

Hodge, you are like a great explorer, always exploring new ground to find ukes worthy of sharing. The wood on that is gorgeous! Given the impressive collection you've had, your thumbs up approval speaks volumes. Congrats on the addition!

Yeah, just what Eddie said: Thanks for exploring the lesser known parts of the ukulele world and for putting such makers on our map. "Despite" the steel strings and the rosewood top, what I hear is a very warm Sound, is that correct?

Yeah, just what Eddie said: Thanks for exploring the lesser known parts of the ukulele world and for putting such makers on our map. "Despite" the steel strings and the rosewood top, what I hear is a very warm Sound, is that correct?

Yes, that (warm, clear and resonant) is what I hear, too. Didn’t expect that from a 19” scale, rosewood top, braced for steel strings.

There are a few hidden gems out there from lesser-known or unknown builders.

Looks and sounds fab!

I decided to join after reading the review of my first ever stringed instrument build.. =)

I owe all of this fine review to the experts at Aarons music service in my home town. I could not have done this with out them for sure.
I am a drum maker mostly as well as flutes and some other things. This concept was a collaboration of all of us at Aarons. Yes, many times i got the non standard words thrown my way though
i wanted to make something unique as well.. I love the sound, it was hard to let it go and for my first ever build I am just amazed at such a fine review and comments. Thank you everyone and hopefully we can put out a few more for those who seek hand made sound quality instruments.

Well Rob, it's a pleasure to be the first to welcome you to U/U.
Possibly it's no coincidence but I was talking today to Steve at Aaron's Music Service (yes, your name was mentioned ! ! ) about a custom build steel strung baritone.
I was so impressed by the sound of the bari that Hodge reviewed here.
I'm an occasional poster here but I have found that ukulele players, like concertina players , are a good bunch.
Hope to hear more from you.
Robin

I decided to join after reading the review of my first ever stringed instrument build.. =)

I owe all of this fine review to the experts at Aarons music service in my home town. I could not have done this with out them for sure.
I am a drum maker mostly as well as flutes and some other things. This concept was a collaboration of all of us at Aarons. Yes, many times i got the non standard words thrown my way though
i wanted to make something unique as well.. I love the sound, it was hard to let it go and for my first ever build I am just amazed at such a fine review and comments. Thank you everyone and hopefully we can put out a few more for those who seek hand made sound quality instruments.

Hi Rob. Welcome to the UU forum. I’m really enjoying your baritone. Thank you!

Glad to hear you’re building more ukes.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/album.php?albumid=2456

Here are some of the pics from when I was building it..
Thank you for such a fine review and it was the first ever build ive done... Ive been working on labels and could send a label for you to put inside if you care for that sort of thing.
Most all hand mades will have some sort of flaw though it did sit around for about a year, hand mades lacquer finish can sink some so ive learned. Probbably occured and I did not notice.
I do recall the finish being so very nice. Frets i think i polished up to at least 1000 grit, but I recall redoing them at a time, maybe i didnt go as far the last time. The large neck was totaly on purpose. My hands tend to hurt trying to crush them down into little chords on these and even guitars, The guitar im making will have a non standard sized neck but only about 1/4 wider then usual, just a smidge under the classical size.. J-200 Super jumbo build.. I am so proud of the guys at the shop, my self included to have gotten such a wonderful review on its sound quality. This was the goal, sound first... I could not have done this with out Aarons expert instruction. Larger frets I think where to help the steel strings work better per usually the nylon require less push down tension. We do and did have smaller fret wire. This being my first build it went slow, taking at least 6 months to finish, doing a little each day.... I also was preparing others as I went, I am a production type. I do one job, but when i set it up, i do it 3-4 times. Then do the next. So, a mahogany was built right after this that has less beauty though i fell in love with that next... I have one more rosewood 75% done, and a mahogany about 45% done now also from the production line style i was doing. As the rosewood got closer to done, summer was approaching so i stopped work on the last two in order to complete the first 2. I do summer shows with my drums and flutes, so i had to let the others sit awhile. Being winter again, I will have two more soon though im pretty sure we have an order that will use up the mahogany body. We also can do other sizes. I preferred the baritone per its size and tuning like a guitar, nothing new needed to be learned and i can play them pretty well (neck size that is) Honker huge neck was all my idea and doing... good or bad for others, I thought it was perfect, HAHA!

Hello Robin, ahh yes... I was there when you mailed us... We can keep in touch here as well as through Aarons.. You can choose a number of things like the tuning pegs, sound hole inlay, binding type and color... The wood of course, etc etc.... A spruce top I heard so far.... Wooo@!!!! The mahogany body i have prepped is super perfect.... So if you did choose this, the wait time would be weeks less... =)

These can take awhile so it may prove best to go with the partial i have made already.

Thank you and talk soon!

Rob, you are right the relatively thick neck fits well in your design, very comfortable. Usually I prefer a thinner neck, but this thick neck feels good. It must have something to do when combined with the width and profile, it all works well together. The setup is excellent, too. it’s very easy fretting and playing.

Outstanding work for your first build!

Top Bottom