NU(FM)D: Lanikai LU21B Baritone

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I finally went over to the D side and got a bari. It's a Lanikai laminate mahogany, found used on eBay for cheap ($90 including shipping and gig bag)!

It has a minor bracing issue. The center back brace is coming unglued, so I'll need to fix that and I want to ditch the Aquila strings, but it has quite decent resonance. And, as you can tell next to the Makala concert, it's YUGE.

Not complaining at all. Tuners work fine, action's good, nice balance. I'll get the bracing fixed, restring it, add a strap button, and I'm ready to roll.

IMG_3327.jpg

Lynda: Thanks! It's fun. I'll probably mess around with it some before sending it out for the bracing fix.

Campbell: Thank you! I'm very pleased so far.

Janet: Your video sold me. I'm delighted to get the Lanikai for such a good price.

Congrats Hendulele!

Congrats!

I have one of these too. It was actually sent to me for free by a wonderful and generous UU member who was thinning the herd.

It is at least a few yrs old and sounds/plays wonderful, but I've not settled on strings yet and have some intonation issues.

I may actually convert mine to a fretless (remove the frets and fill the slots with veneer strips as is commonly done) just to see what it's like to play a fretless uke.

Love the sound of my baris, just have a problem with the stretch, hopefully, you'll be OK. :)
(I put Living Water strings on my cedar top.)

Thanks, Keith! I anticipate keeping things really simple chord-wise because of the stretch. I have Worth Browns on the way. Living Waters are excellent, too, as you know.

Top Bottom