Makala UB15 Ukulele Bass

grajay

Reaction score
Real dumb question but having just bought this bass ukulele it arrived with an allen key in a plastic packet. I'm guessing there's a good reason for it but could someone please fill me in?

Thanks

Graham

Last edited:
The screw head most likely is inside the sound hole at the end of the neck. Can you post a photo of your bass, the online photos look very nice.

Thanks very much for the pointer. I don't have an allen key socket at the neck end, but further investigation showed it to be inside the sound hole.

Much appreciated

Attachments

• 71iDo6CVxuL._SL1001_.jpg
    71iDo6CVxuL._SL1001_.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 24
The screw head most likely is inside the sound hole at the end of the neck. Can you post a photo of your bass, the online photos look very nice.

Not quite yet figured out how to embed a pic in a post - hope this works

IMG_0750.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I immediately started looking up the Makala U Bass. I don’t think they are still in production. Was that an early inexpensive version of Kala’s (same company) U Bass? I am only seeing them for sale in the UK online.

That looks like it comes from the same Chinese factory where Rondomusic.com gets it's acoustic bass ukes, judging by the electronics, tuners, strings, rosette. Does it have a rear access panel to make string change easier?

I just bought this one, a walnut cutaway, $185.90 shipped from Amazon. Eventually I'm going to change the strings to Road Toad black Pahoehoe because I find the Aquila Thunderguts are way to sticky and will dent (sausage) where they press against the frets.

Rondo Hadean my Walnut 800.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it does have a rear access panel which I had to open as I kept hearing an odd swishing noise when I moved the uke. Turned out to be a small silica gel bag!

No doubt it comes from the same factory in China. Rondo seems to be the USA distributer, I guess Makala (Kala?) must be for the UK.

It is indeed made by Kala according to the label inside.

IMG_0754.JPG

Interestingly, although the uke has a strap button on the end above the jack socket there isn't a second one anywhere. I'm hoping (looking at my tenor uke) that I could buy one and fix it somewhere on the neck where I've indicated?

IMG_0753.jpg

Last edited:
You can put a button anywhere on the heel, no problem, (they probably expect that most people will tie their straps to the headstock, but I don't either).

Thanks guys - at least you've explained why it is the way it is.

I always add strap buttons to my bass ukes that don't have them. In this case ivory color.

Walnut Heal strap button.JPG

Even though the label shows Kala, it is still made in China by the same factory that makes the Rondo Hadean. There should be a Made in China label, usually on the back of the headstock.

Walnut Made in China label.JPG

Yup - I have an oval gold sticker with Made in China on mine in much the same position. I just wondered why the other strap button was omitted, but I can see that it would be easy enough to tie a strap onto the headstock.

Post deleted - not longer relevant

Attachments

• Walnut Made in China label.jpg
    Walnut Made in China label.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Top Bottom