Thread: Trying to determine age and value of a Gibson

Default Trying to determine age and value of a Gibson

I have a Gibson ukulele that Iím guessing was made in the 1940ís. It was given to my wife by her dad 20 years ago.
    I canít find the serial number anywhere on the outside. Does anyone know how to determine age or value ?
    I have pictures.

Thanks in advance
    Charlie

Best bet is to do a search on ebay and see what similar models have sold for. While you can look at active listings on there or various other seller sites, sometimes those can be unrealistic. It will also vary based on condition.

Pics always help.
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing! - Eric Idle

There's an article in the current Fretboard Journal (#40) on Gibson ukuleles, which gives you a good indication of their age, based on the appointments.

Some Gibsons had a number on the neck block, on the inside, either stamped in ink or very lightly pencilled. Sopranos often lack them, and the numbers aren't serial numbers at all, but something called Factory Order Numbers (FONs), used in a rather random way to calculate the wood supply that went into building that particular batch of ukuleles - so they weren't very chronological and sometimes were even repeated after a few years. But they can give an idea of when the instruments were built.

I like them a lot.

Smile

On ebay, you need to look at the recently sold items, not the ones available for sale. Here's the recently sold ones:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

The value of yours depends on model, size, condition, etc. post pics and we can better help.

Gotta say, those black Gibson Style 3 ukes are pretty spiffy looking! Dontcha think?

Style 3.JPG
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 11-24-2017 at 04:56 AM.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Thread Information