The new Aquila Sugar ukulele strings are here

Good day,

It's been a couple of weeks now, so I'm curious if there are any updates on the availability of these strings? I wasn't able to find them today, but I might have missed somewhere.

Sharpshin: Have you had a chance to play yours yet?

I'm very curious about these. I was telling a friend about them and the comment in response was that a bioplastic made from sugar was about the most 'me' thing they'd ever heard of. He he he. :p

I ordered two sets from Italy and am going to a set on my 60s Kamaka soprano. It currently has nylguts installed. We shall see how they sound

Last edited:
I ordered two sets from Italy and am going to a set on my 60s Kamala soprano. It currently has nylguts installed. We shall see how they sound

Yes! I'd love to hear the results.

Hi 1890,
In answer to your question, unfortunately I have not yet had a change to try them. Swamped with work, so barely have time to play, much less play with string changes. May be a while, due to work. I got high class problems! smile.

Hello Guys,
I am so sorry...the US distribution of the Sugar ukulele is so slow.
I will have some meetings at the NAMM show in Anaheim and I will pick up many samples (bulk and packaged) and two ukuleles of the exactly the same model and even the performance: one will have installed one of the best fluorcarbon set (I do not tell of course which is the brand) and another with our Sugar strings.
Facts are better and louder than words.
Here in Eu they are already available in some places (on line store are better), expecially in UK.
Unfortunately I have no better ways to make things faster.
so be patient still bit.
Mimmo Italy

Last edited:
Hi Eddie, free samples dude, do not worry.
the problem is: how to find you with all these noisy guys around?
maybe to Kanilea booth in the E hall? you can leave your mobile and me too.
yeah, see you soon. I will walking around in the NAMM holding two ukes of the same model: one with the best fliorocarbon and the other one with our Sugar
Facts are louder than words!
see you soon.

Hi Eddie, free samples dude, do not worry.
the problem is: how to find you with all these noisy guys around?
maybe to Kanilea booth in the E hall? you can leave your mobile and me too.
yeah, see you soon. I will walking around in the NAMM holding two ukes of the same model: one with the best fliorocarbon and the other one with our Sugar
Facts are louder than words!
see you soon.

I'll be the bald guy wearing a Luthiers for a Cause shirt. ;-)

You can email me at eddie@luthiersforacause.org

Best, Eddie

Just got a set of strings, is there any special instructions for re-stringing at the tuners ? i'm thinking of the video Mimmo posted for the Carbon blacks .

So, can we buy these strings yet in USA vendors?

-Strings By Mail
-Strings and Beyond
-All Strings Nylon
-Elderly Music
-Amazon
-Uke Republic
-Hawaii Music Supply

None seem to offer them yet.

The distributors must set their clock according to watching cheese ripening or something.

Which of the distributors can we harass for them to bring these strings into the USA market?

Maybe it's time to get the pitchforks and prepare the bonfires. Some distributor is going to have to sacrifice an employee for the totem at the bonfire (like a Burning Man event). LOL.

I ordered two sets directly from Italy. I have fitted a set on my, new to me, Kamaka soprano. I only did this last night as the time change on returning from Hawaii to Vermont has me doing things late at night. The strings are settling in. My initial response has been delight. The sustain is amazing. The strings are lively, though not quite so lively as the set that I removed (probably nylgut) with more mellow character. They seem lighter than what was on before. So far I really like these. Time will tell me more..

The other set that I purchased was a high G tenor set. Since I am unlikely to be changing any tenor strings for quite a while these might be available to swap for something else - PM me if interested.

Top Bottom