Kanile'a E SILK (Ebony Silk) vs. UV Satin vs. UV Gloss

Funtick

Reaction score
Aloha!

Kanile'a (Kanilea) has new line which is Ebony Silk, how Silk finish differs from UV Satin? from UV Gloss? Can you please share experience?

Thank you!

Silk is not a new line, these have been around for quite some time.

Silk looks more like an Oil Rubbed finish, but from what I've read it's the UV lacquer coat they use on the Gloss instruments, just a thiner coating.

The Gloss is a thicker UV lacquer coating, looking like a thin plastic coat...

The Standard Glossy Kanilea are very shiny, glossy looking.

Look at how Shiny the sides of this Kanilea look, this is how the tops and backs look on these glossy models;

http://themusicemporium.com/assets/images/5/kan-k1cp_750_2-9c5f84e5.jpg

Compared to Kamaka and KoAloha, Kanilea produces the shiniest gloss finish. Compared to Ko'olau, I have not seen many of these, but they might produce some very glossy too...

Last edited:
As far as I know, the Silk is NOT thinner than the Gloss, just buffed/finished differently. If any of their finish options is thinner, it would be the one they label Satin (not Silk).

As stated in my review linked above, the Silk finish looks somewhat "milky" to me and shows every fingerprint. The Gloss finish doesn't do that to the same extent, and it can be wiped down with a soft towel much easier.

Silk is thinner then the Gloss, I've spoken to Kanile'a about this.

Silk = 3 Coats
Gloss = 5-6 Coats

They even mention on the website for the Silk models that it's 3 coats.

Silk is thinner then the Gloss, I've spoken to Kanile'a about this.

Silk = 3 Coats
Gloss = 5-6 Coats

They even mention on the website for the Silk models that it's 3 coats.

So then what's the difference between the Silk and their UV cured "Natural" finish?

So then what's the difference between the Silk and their UV cured "Natural" finish?

Silk just looks like an Oil Rubbed finish...

They are also both UV Cured, it's the same process, just less coats between the Silk & Gloss is all... :shaka:

So I guess you could say, people have been calling it, UV Cured Natural versus the UV Cured Gloss;

Silk = UV Cured Natural Finish
Gloss = UV Cured Gloss Finish

Last edited:
Silk just looks like an Oil Rubbed finish...

They are also both UV Cured, it's the same process, just less coats between the Silk & Gloss is all... :shaka:

So I guess you could say, people have been calling it, UV Cured Natural versus the UV Cured Gloss;

Silk = UV Cured Natural Finish
Gloss = UV Cured Gloss Finish

I still think this is a misunderstanding. From all I know, they have three finish options: gloss, silk AND natural. The latter having replaced their oil rubbed satin finish.

Oh I wasn't going into all the options, just thought we were discussing the difference between a Silk finish and Gloss was all...

From what I see there are 3 common options from Kanilea;

UV Cured Natural Finish
UV Cured Silk Finish - semi gloss
UV Cured High Gloss

They also offer a build your own section which shows a 4th option

UV Cured High Gloss with UV Cured Silk Neck

Still, in order to prevent any further confusion, I think it is noteworthy for potential buyers to acknowledge the fact that the Silk finish is NOT the same as the Natural finish and that the former does NOT look like an oil rubbed finish. It is perfectly flat like the Gloss, but with a milky sheen to it. The finish that is closest to their discontinued oil rubbed Satin models is the one labeled "Natural".

I only mentioned SILK as looking oil rubbed, I had seen some that for whatever reason appeared that way.

But you are correct, the order is like; Natural > Silk - (semi gloss) > Gloss

Silk should be a slight gloss finish to it over oil rubbed...

I have one silk finish Kanile'a and it really is a fingerprint magnet. It feels nice to play but you have to wipe it down every time. I would much prefer it was the Kanile'a piano finish gloss which is much easier to keep clean.

Top Bottom