Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Opio Sapele Tenor

Default WTB Opio Sapele Tenor

I'm looking for an Opio Tenor made of Sapele - sometimes called "African Mahogany."

A friend let me strum his, and I've fallen desperately, hopelessly in love with it. But alas, it belongs to another.

Does anyone have one they are willing to part with?

This has been on Craigslist for a while https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/...381290848.html

Great lead - thank you!

I too have a love of this ukulele. In fact it was my first. While my eye has since wondered to embrace others, I can say it is still my first love.
    A friend went to the KoAloha factory a few months ago and reported that they had opio sapeles in the discount rack called B stock. You might want to call KoAloha in Honolulu to see if they have one for sale. It would be cheaper than the Craigslist seller.
    KoAlana Sapele Concert -- now known as the KoAloha Opio
    Mainland Mahogany Concert - my knockabout jam ukulele
    Mahalo Pineapple Soprano -- the one that started it all
    Kala Travel Soprano -- tiny profile with BIG sound
    Blue Frog Maple Soprano - Beautiful sonorous sound cannon

I have an Opio Sapele Tenor (not selling it) and I think there were finish issues. Mine was a B Stock from Mim and it had spider cracks in the finish. It does not bother the sound of the instrument one bit. It also has the “dead” (not really) C string...and I still love it.

I also bought an Opio Acacia Concert (from rubykey, I believe!) which I also love. I sold my Pono Pro Classic Tenor to buy it.

My “sweet spot” would probably be a 16” scale instrument (Conner? Tenert?) but that is probably a silly thing to wish for. (Note: it turns out the Kamoa Grand Concert Just reviewed by Barry Mac has these measurements).

I don’t have...nor do I need...two Opio tenors to compare, but I do believe that the Sapele is a louder wood. I believe this enough that if a Opio Sapele Concert popped up in the UU marketplace for a good deal, I might very well bite the bullet and buy it.

And of course, a Koa Concert is on my to-buy list...but I’m working on paying off other debt right now (newer iPad Pro). At the Minnesota Ukulele Gathering last weekend, a local was selling their Opio Acacia Soprano, and that was REALLY nice, too. Such a non-soprano sound for a soprano. I had my S1 with me, and my Opio Concert...so I heard it.

At the same time, don’t hesitate to buy a new Acacia model of the Opio Tenor. I am sure that it is possible not to like the KoAloha sound...but it you do, they are all good.
    Last edited by Choirguy; 11-26-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Corrections
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by rubykey View Post
    I too have a love of this ukulele. In fact it was my first. While my eye has since wondered to embrace others, I can say it is still my first love.
    A friend went to the KoAloha factory a few months ago and reported that they had opio sapeles in the discount rack called B stock. You might want to call KoAloha in Honolulu to see if they have one for sale. It would be cheaper than the Craigslist seller.
    Thank you, I'll give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I have an Opio Sapele Tenor (not selling it) and I think there were finish issues. Mine was a B Stock from Mim and it had spider cracks in the finish. It does not bother the sound of the instrument one bit. It also has the “dead” (not really) C string...and I still love it.

I also bought an Opio Acacia Concert (from rubykey, I believe!) which I also love. I sold my Pono Pro Classic Tenor to buy it.

My “sweet spot” would probably be a 16” scale instrument (Conner? Tenert?) but that is probably a silly thing to wish for. (Note: it turns out the Kamoa Grand Concert Just reviewed by Barry Mac has these measurements).

I don’t have...nor do I need...two Opio tenors to compare, but I do believe that the Sapele is a louder wood. I believe this enough that if a Opio Sapele Concert popped up in the UU marketplace for a good deal, I might very well bite the bullet and buy it.

And of course, a Koa Concert is on my to-buy list...but I’m working on paying off other debt right now (newer iPad Pro). At the Minnesota Ukulele Gathering last weekend, a local was selling their Opio Acacia Soprano, and that was REALLY nice, too. Such a non-soprano sound for a soprano. I had my S1 with me, and my Opio Concert...so I heard it.

At the same time, don’t hesitate to buy a new Acacia model of the Opio Tenor. I am sure that it is possible not to like the KoAloha sound...but it you do, they are all good.
    I may end up with an Acaia, but thought I'd try to find a Sapele first. I know the Acacia will be a wonderful instrument, just wasn't sure if it would appeal to me as much as the Sapele does.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyDee View Post
    I may end up with an Acaia, but thought I'd try to find a Sapele first. I know the Acacia will be a wonderful instrument, just wasn't sure if it would appeal to me as much as the Sapele does.
    To be honest I was rather disappointed with the Acacia model after playing the Sapele model. Your mileage may vary but I wouldn't recommend buying the Acacia model sight unseen.

They really need to make the Sapele model again. If they had issues other than the so called "Dead" note then they should sort it out but honestly I didn't notice the "dead" note until I went looking for it and otherwise it was a great, expressive instrument.

KoAloha KTR-00 / Ohana TK-35CG / Kala Bocote Butterfly Tenor KA-BFT (raffle win) / Oscar Schmidt OU2 with signatures!

Quote Originally Posted by Uke182 View Post
    Wow, how did I miss this? Thank you SOOO MUCH!

Thread Information