NUD: 3 custom ukes built by Fred Shields - SAN DIEGO

SoloRule

Reaction score
I came across Fred Shields Ukuleles when I was searching for ukulele music shops in San Diego area . Mr Shields is a custom luthier with a creative mind. His ukulele line includes all the usual sizes plus a unique pocket size which Mr Shields named it 'tiny teardrop'.

I contacted Mr Shield six days before I leave for San Diego. I asked if he could build me an oval shape concert uke with a 1 1/2 " wide nut width and a unique head design. With only a week to work on the design, you can imagine my surprise when he replied NO problem. It will be ready when you are here.

My first impression of my Oval shape uke was that it is very light weight, it has extremely long sustain, it has a very sweet tone. I am a tenor player, concert neck are too tight for me . I can not believe how comfortable it is with the 1 1/2" width. It feels good and sounds good.

Mr Shields shown me his personal pocket uke (tiny tear drop) , I was impressed with the volume that came out of this little instrument so I begged him to sell it to me. He then shown me another one of his own concert uke with Koa top and a cutaway.

I was so impressed with Mr Shields craftsmanship and sound quality, I went back to see him two days later . He generously offered to sell me the Koa cutaway. He said he can always make another one for himself when he has time. I ended up coming back to Canada with 3 FS ukes.

All three ukes are solid wood. I was concern when Mr Shields did not recommend two sound ports. I was blow away by the volume with just the one side sound port.

My demo is rough as the strings have not settled and the wood are new . I need to upload this today because its Mr Shield birthday. He is 80 years young . HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Please watch my video all the way to the end to see Mr Shields plays his 3 steel strings instrument.

If you want to contact Mr Shields . You can reach him through facebook (his page is unlock so you do not need to have a facebook account )
https://www.facebook.com/fred.shields.3/about?lst=618802578:100003739926120:1511543272

Some of his ukuleles are available in Hale Music ( Near San Diego) , Ukulele Station America Oregon, Illinois (a small town about 100 miles west of Chicago). He was shipping five ukes to Ukulele Station America this week if you can't wait 2 weeks to have a custom build uke.

Mr Shields is located in La Mesa, Calif.. *(619) 464-8599

I hope this video do him justice . His unique design , playability, sound quality and craftsmanship are impeccable ! He is truly a hidden gem! I am so blessed to have found him. Thank You Mr Shields!

Last edited:
Congrats, Brenda! Wow. NUD x 3! I expect you will now be receiving personal invitations to visit many luthiers. ;-)

That concert built in week is amazing! Great decision to get all 3, that was a rare opportunity.
Congratulations on 3 excellent additions!

Awesome! I love ukes like these, built off the beaten path!
Congrats!

That concert built in week is amazing! Great decision to get all 3, that was a rare opportunity.
Congratulations on 3 excellent additions!

He works very hard and long hour
He is extremely creative
Yes one week!
He said he can build one in two weeks. He rushed this one to me as I only had four days in SD

Congratulations on the three newest additions and your lovely heart buying so many from a nice luthier

Brenda was head over heels excited about finding out that Fred Shields lived close to where she was travelling. So in Brenda's usual "pitbull" fashion she started communicating with Fred. She was so thrilled to get to visit with him and play his instruments. She came home with three lovely handcrafted instruments and a new friend. If you are ever lucky enough to meet Brenda in person her enthusiasm quickly wins you over.

I dropped by Brenda's house yesterday to see her new babies. They are very well made, the details, fit and finish are all top notch, for a cost less than an all solid wood Kala. Yea you heard that right.

Last edited:
WOW! I am speechless.

I am glad you took advantage of getting these ukes now all at once.

Congrats BRENDA! :music: :nana: :rock:

Congratulations on such beautiful ukes, Brenda! Love the shape and head stocks on these with such a gorgeous sound. You must be very happy.

I am happy to be in the right place at the right time!
I hope Mr Shields continues to make beautiful instruments for us to enjoy! His price is very reasonable and he is extremely accommodating!

Wow. Great instruments. Sound super. Looking forward to playing them soon.

Congratulations, Brenda, and a happy birthday to Fred Shields! Thanks for giving us all a closer look at his work.

Top Bottom