Upgrading my tenor uke! What's a good mid-range option?

GutStringDitty

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm looking to upgrade my uke a bit but my price point is the 250-300 range. I've been playing my Lanikai LU21T for years and love it.

I guess my first question is - if I can only spend a few hundred right now, would that get me much more quality tone or playability? And if so, what are some solid options?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Underground, Ditty! In my own, long history of acquiring ukuleles, the one true upgrade, for me, is going to the $350-500 USD range, with an all solid instrument from a well-respected brand and checked/set-up by a trustful store such as HMS (The Ukulele Site) or Mim. My own pick would be a Pono AT or MT, or a KoAloha Opio. In my experience, they are just as good as the famous Hawaiian K brands, but at about half the cost.

Good luck with your search, please report back to let us know what you end up with!

I agree. After going through 16 ukes my first year of playing over four years ago, I contacted Mim and she recommended the Kala KAATP-CTG-CE solid cedar top tenor, acacia koa body, red padauk binding, preamp for $379. I think it's really close to the $1000 plus ukes.

The Kala cedar top is a good choice, (as would a Kala or Ohana solid mahogany) - but if you can wait a little longer, a KoAloha would be a nice choice too. :)

Check them all out online to see/hear what appeals to you the most.

It depends on what you like—I sugggest trying an Opio, and if you like it, saving up for it. However—many other fine options exist including Mainland, Pono, Islander, and Kala (as already mentioned) and so many more. Isn’t it wonderful to have so many choices! Mim, Uke Republic, and Hawaii Music Supply can all be of assistance, too!

I've bought several ukes from Mim and cannot give her enough praise. She's the biggest Ohana dealer in the U.S. and has quite a few in that price range. I play sopranos and concerts, mainly, but I got a spruce-topped tenor from her for about $300 that was amazing. You can find an all-solid mahogany tenor from her, too, that's within your budget. My all-solid soprano and pineapples are/were gems (I just sold the pineapple). She also has a fine selection of Kalas and the Opio series.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm checking in with Mim and the Uke Republic as well. I will certainly let you know what I choose as my new musical partner in crime.

I LOVE the deep tone of that Kala cedar top! Unfortunately I bought it as a first uke and it's way too big for my hands. Keep hoping if learn to play better on a concert I'll be able to work the stretches to play it.

Don't give up on your Kala yet, captain-janeway, my first uke was a tenor, & I couldn't play it because the stretch was too much for my hands, but having spent time playing concert scale, my hands loosened up & I was able to go back & play it. :)

In the spirit of shameless self promotion I would highly recommend the Pono MTSHC cutaway I have for sale on the forum ;)

You can often find great deals on the used instrument thread.
I love my Fluke.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93637-The-Magic-Fluke-Company-Appreciation-thread
My wife has a Kala cedar top that sound wonderful, same for our solid mahogany vintage Favilla.
You'll probably be happy with any of the recommendation posted so far.
So much is personal preference. Have you been able to play any decent ukulele?
Try to get to a club, or a meet up and make friends!
Best of luck and keep us posted.

Check out Mainland - their solid wood tenors are really excellent - I had an amazing red cedar and rosewood. I have now gone for Koa however the Mainlands are great instruments. I have had three.

Top Bottom