Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquila Sugar Strings - TEST

Default Aquila Sugar Strings - TEST

Coming very soon at Aquila stockists

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/11/a...ings-test.html
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Nice little review, Baz, like the sound, not so sure about the price though, my present favourites cost £7~7.50.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Thanks for sharing, Baz.

Thanks for testing these, Baz. I have a laminate KoAlana that sounds almost brash with fluorocarbons (too bright, no depth). But I'm not a fan of the Nylgut series Aquilas, either. These may be the ticket.
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano • Fluke natural concert <BG> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Koa soprano Flea • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Lanakai LU-21 baritone

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Nice little review, Baz, like the sound, not so sure about the price though, my present favourites cost £7~7.50.
    Suppose - still think that in the big scheme of things they are all pretty cheap. Buying a £9 set over a £7 set every few months isn't a massive punch in the wallet is it?
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Thanks for testing these, Baz. I have a laminate KoAlana that sounds almost brash with fluorocarbons (too bright, no depth). But I'm not a fan of the Nylgut series Aquilas, either. These may be the ticket.

Yes, I do find them a nice balance between the two. Remarkably clear wherever you play on the neck too. I like em.
    Last edited by bazmaz; 11-25-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks for the review. I'll have to dig up the other review of that instrument for a comparison of the different strings. While you mention they are a bit mellower, they still seemed to have plenty of ring and sparkle.

These sound like something that I will be very interested in trying and may give me the middle ground I have been looking for. I can't wait to see wh will have the in stock here in the US

They do - they have both at the same time. Very interesting sounds. It's the power further up the fingerboard that impresses me the most though. What I don't like is the heavier gauge to be honest.

Baz- thanks for the write-up and video demo in your preview!

Nice to see more options coming to market with strings, vs. the same-old/same-old.
    Just the FAQs
    less is more

Thanks, Baz!

Neither of two go-to strings places in the US (Strings by Mail or Strings & Beyond) have these in stock as of yet. I've emailed them to find out if they will carry them and, if so, when they expect stock.
    Last edited by Ukulele Eddie; 11-25-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thread Information