Aquila Sugar Strings - TEST

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for testing these, Baz. I have a laminate KoAlana that sounds almost brash with fluorocarbons (too bright, no depth). But I'm not a fan of the Nylgut series Aquilas, either. These may be the ticket.

Nice little review, Baz, like the sound, not so sure about the price though, my present favourites cost £7~7.50. :)

Suppose - still think that in the big scheme of things they are all pretty cheap. Buying a £9 set over a £7 set every few months isn't a massive punch in the wallet is it?

Thanks for testing these, Baz. I have a laminate KoAlana that sounds almost brash with fluorocarbons (too bright, no depth). But I'm not a fan of the Nylgut series Aquilas, either. These may be the ticket.

Yes, I do find them a nice balance between the two. Remarkably clear wherever you play on the neck too. I like em.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I'll have to dig up the other review of that instrument for a comparison of the different strings. While you mention they are a bit mellower, they still seemed to have plenty of ring and sparkle.

These sound like something that I will be very interested in trying and may give me the middle ground I have been looking for. I can't wait to see wh will have the in stock here in the US

They do - they have both at the same time. Very interesting sounds. It's the power further up the fingerboard that impresses me the most though. What I don't like is the heavier gauge to be honest.

Baz- thanks for the write-up and video demo in your preview!

Nice to see more options coming to market with strings, vs. the same-old/same-old. :)

Thanks, Baz!

Neither of two go-to strings places in the US (Strings by Mail or Strings & Beyond) have these in stock as of yet. I've emailed them to find out if they will carry them and, if so, when they expect stock.

Last edited:
Thanks, Baz!

Neither of two go-to strings places in the US (Strings by Mail or Strings & Beyond) have these in stock as of yet. I've emailed them to find out if they will carry them and, if so, when they expect stock.

Thanks for seeking this out - please post if you get info about expected availability - as these two vendors are my preferred at this time.

Aquila told me that they have only last week sent strings out to distributors. Distributors in the UK at least expect these to be with dealers next week. They've literally only just completed the first production run.

How is the string tension compared to martin/standard aquila? Thank you!!

I never really know how to judge tension as I don't tend to feel differences. The gauge on these is more like standard Aquila, ie fatter than Martin

Hi guy
some answers:
Frigilana: yes, the can be bent very easily like Aldrine shows in the video (we,, the tension is not so high as on Fluorcarbon strings except the Martin F.)
Gauges: yeah, it is hard to make all people happy. Some whant thin gauges, some hate thin gauges and viceversa. The gauges of these sets are same of those of our standard nylgut sets.

The sound of these Sugar is crazy. Why I say crazy? Because the are at the same time briliant (far over the fuorocarbon: we have done some scientific misurations so it is not just an opinion good for marketing); at the same time they are mellow: depend how you play them.
The total output is a bit more than fluorocarbon (again: scientific misurations).

There is a little problem: the total full performances came out a few hours after the installation: to make this process faster I suggest to stretch them a few times.
Ciao
Mimmo

Ps: I am back home from a trip: we are doing our best to distribuite these Sugar in a fatserv way

Last edited:
Thank you mimmo , can we buy them on your website ? they don't seem to be listed .

Thanks Mimmo - hope they do well for you.

Sorry mimmo but when i click Buy Now it just takes me back to the Homepage.

Hey Baz- Maybe you can post just the clip of the sound file and these strings along with the sound file of when you reviewed this soprano initially with other strings. It would be great to hear the two alongside one another.

(BTW- does it bother anyone else that the start of the reviews always begin with an electric guitar chord? It is jarring before hearing the mellifluous sound of the ukuleles.) :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom