String tension options on a tenor

Xochi

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed to death, but I couldn’t find an answer by searching. I have a concert and a tenor. I like the string tension on my concert but I put Aquila tenor strings on my tenor and the tension is much higher. Are there low-tension tenor strings, and if so what are my options?

The easiest thing you can do is put concert strings on your tenor. The tension will be lower but not as low as your concert because the tenor is a longer scale length and the strings must be stretched up to pitch. If that doesn't work well enough for you then google South Coast Strings. They specialize in different string tensions, great product but not cheap. But then great products aren't cheap

DownUpDave i'm quite interested in a lower tension strings to pair with Thomastik G & C strings , i PM South Coast but never got a reply maybe you could help . Which set should i choose for low tension on my Godin Multiuke or would you not recommend them for my purpose ?

The easiest thing you can do is put concert strings on your tenor. The tension will be lower but not as low as your concert because the tenor is a longer scale length and the strings must be stretched up to pitch. If that doesn't work well enough for you then google South Coast Strings. They specialize in different string tensions, great product but not cheap. But then great products aren't cheap

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it. Seems counter-intuitive to me. Like, there should be a general "ukulele string tension" and concert strings give you that on a concert, tenor strings give you that on a tenor ... I wonder why it's not that way.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it. Seems counter-intuitive to me. Like, there should be a general "ukulele string tension" and concert strings give you that on a concert, tenor strings give you that on a tenor ... I wonder why it's not that way.

The simple answer is because of the diameter. A tenor string is thicker than a concert string which is thicker than a soprano string. A soprano string is only as thick as it needs to be to hold pitch at a scale length of 13.5". You could use the larger diameter tenor strings on a soprano but the tension might feel uncomfortable under finger.

Last edited:
DownUpDave i'm quite interested in a lower tension strings to pair with Thomastik G & C strings , i PM South Coast but never got a reply maybe you could help . Which set should i choose for low tension on my Godin Multiuke or would you not recommend them for my purpose ?

I have used the MU (medium) and LMU (light medium) in renetrant or ML and LML in low G. The LM series are much lighter than Oasis warm or Worth CT for examples.

+1 for Living Water strings. They seem to have lower tension than other brands I've tried, and they have a soft and silky feel. They sound pretty darn good, too! :cool:

I've observed the following after testing over 100 discrete sets of strings:

• Thinner strings = more sustain = less tension = less volume = brighter tone
  • Thicker strings = less sustain = more tension = more volume = warmer tone

Discussed to death is right. Rather than retype again, these previous discussions may prove useful to you, click here and here

Top Bottom