Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 302 - Bobs & Bills

Such heavy burdens to bear Steve!
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Quote Originally Posted by RAB11 View Post
    Such heavy burdens to bear Steve!
    I know...that night at the brewery is going to be a toughie.
    www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Bit more Billy Bragg for you....

Some of these days recorded by Bobby Darren in 1958

For my third and final song of this week I decided to make it a trifecta of artists our esteemed host this week has never heard of, sort of felt it was my duty to do so, but I'm sure he's heard this song before. This is one by Bill Phillips in 1970, who was a long time featured male vocalist in the Kitty Wills and Johnny Wright touring country show. Phillips had a lot of minor country hits over the years, and also did crack the top ten a few times. He's perhaps best known for cutting a song in 1966 written by a then little known 20 year old named Dolly Parton, "Put if off until tommorow", which made the top 10 for Phillips, and got Parton attention as a writer and artist. She would have made it anyways obviously, but this is what opened the door for her to get a record deal. I like this version of this classic song about a hobo paradise, though nobody even seems to realize that what it's actually about anymore. If I ever start performing in retirement homes/senior centers, I think this would be a good one to kick off a show with. Been wanting to work it up for awhile, finally did.

Last edited by Recovering Bassist; 11-27-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Hi Pal!
    I wonder if we can only do 1.5 songs by Billy Bob Thornton (No relation).

Quote Originally Posted by UkeFoote View Post
    Hey folks -
    I've been so busy I just haven't had the time to be part of the family for some twenty seasons or so, but I'm hoping that this week I may be able to "bob" up... (actually the two I'm thinking of are both "Billys")

cheers!
    It's the songs, isn't it?

This one goes out to Mrs RABB. She's going through some stuff at the moment that's putting a massive strain on her and there's absolutely sod all I can do to make it better right now and that kills me because I'd do any of the things in this song in a heartbeat.

It's by Billie Holliday. Obviously I've done some swapping of pronouns.

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Quote Originally Posted by YorkSteve View Post
    .............a performance with a uke group at an anti-fracking benefit evening, .............
    Good for you Steve.
    Fracking - now there's a dumb idea for you. Injecting chemicals into the substrata to release the gases it contains - and the gas always go the way they want - right.
    Just the name sounds wrong!

In 1954 Sam Phillips of Sun Studios teams Elvis up with local musicians Scotty Moore (guitar) and Bill Black (bass) to see if they together can come up with something worthwhile.............the guys break into a sped-up version of Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup's "That's All Right" ...........the rest is history.

It seems everyone's trying to play the ukulele like someone else............the only real way is your own way.

Quote Originally Posted by pabrizzer View Post
    Good for you Steve.
    Fracking - now there's a dumb idea for you. Injecting chemicals into the substrata to release the gases it contains - and the gas always go the way they want - right.
    Just the name sounds wrong!
    They are preparing to drill about 20 miles from here. Every village & town council for miles around voted against it. But the County Council had the final say and voted in favour, despite thousands of letters from objectors (and a handful in favour - but none of those from the village itself). A protest camp has sprung up outside the site, and some of my uke friends go there every week to play a few songs to raise the spirits.
    www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Thread Information