Season 302 - Bobs & Bills

OneManAndHisUke told me that a cover version of this song changed his mind about Billy Joel's writing. I had a "why didn't I do that one?" moment, and then remembered - being a piano song, it has far too many chords for my fingers to wrap around. But if you leave half of them out, and pick up a plastic ukulele...

I've killed two birds with one stone in more ways than one this week. This original song written for this season has both a Bill and a Bob in it and it is also a tribute to the McKenzie-Papineau Battalion of the XV International Brigade, who our group The Intergenerational Brigade shall be paying tribute to in Barcelona on the 13th December.

The song is pretty self explanatory, except perhaps the reference to a Breda 65 - which was an Italian ground attack aircraft that saw a lot of action in the Spanish Civil War. It was used, among other things, to attack columns of fleeing refugees seeking safety in France after the fall of Barcelona to the Fascists in January 1939.

PS Once again I had problems with the old Microsoft unsupported video programme I use. That's why the main picture is squeezed into the old pre-widescreen format. Time to retire it, I fear. Pity, because its subtitling system is the fastest of the video editors I have tried.

Third and final entry, from Bobby Osborne and the Osborne Brothers. Apologies for the cold.

I'm a little bit astonished that still no Bob Marley was presented ... may be there are so many Bob's?

Dave (TCK) did bring Could You Be Loved by Bob Marley in post #140. Partly his fault that we didn't know as he didn't mention the name of the song or the artist. We did see their recently purchased cauliflower though....

Hey Folks
For Season of the Ukulele 302, here’s “Lush Life”, the classic jazz tune written by Billy Strayhorn, and performed by numerous artists named Bill, Billy, Bob, and Bobby, including Billy Eckstine (though my favorite rendition of it is Nat King Cole’s).

For tenor ukulele with singing.

Dave (TCK) did bring Could You Be Loved by Bob Marley in post #140. Partly his fault that we didn't know as he didn't mention the name of the song or the artist. We did see their recently purchased cauliflower though....
Ouh, as I saw your quotation "Could you be loved", immediately Bob Marley jumped up ... so, as you say...

Ok, so here’s an original for this season. I’ve been looking for a new ukulele and several times, I’ve watched a demo/review video and thought, “Wow! That uke sounds good!” Then I remembered that it’s a professional playing In the video, and I probably wouldn’t sound anything like that on that uke.

So I wrote a song about it. To make it fit the theme, I titled it, “The Ballad of Billy the Barely Medicorce Ukulele Player” :D

If you really want to dissect it (as much as you can dissect a song that’s 70 seconds long) it’s about how we always want new possessions, but in the end, our problems are still going to be there, and the new things won’t do a darn thing about it.) I hope at least one of you likes it. Then it will have been worth it. :eek:

Last edited:
Just back in from the anti-fracking evening, which went OK. Everybody sang along, and money was raised to keep the well-site camp going. Anyway, I see I have more videos to catch up on. I promise to do so on Sunday, after our pub & brewery trip.
Keep the Bobs & Bills coming - I just tried to think of one we haven't had yet, and I am struggling... Bob Kerr's Whoopee Band? Bobby Vee? And, er, that's it.

I'm a little bit astonished that still no Bob Marley was presented ... may be there are so many Bob's?

Quick and dirty one take of Bob Marley's Mr. Brown.
TCK convinced me this had to be done.

Greetings,

I saw mention of this song somewhere in this thread, and I happened to have the words and lyrics printed so I gave it a try. There isn't much I could do with it, only chords! I was always fascinated by the meaning of this song, there are interesting interpretations on the internet of "Ode to Billy Joe". So here is my version....

Ciao

What's the etiquette on performing a song for the contest that someone else has already done? (I thought for sure someone would have already done one for the song I liked, but as I went page by page through the entries, I got more and more hopeful. The last page, page 16, yep-there it was. *rueful look*) Is a song claimed once done, or can there be more then one rendition of it?

What's the etiquette on performing a song for the contest that someone else has already done? (I thought for sure someone would have already done one for the song I liked, but as I went page by page through the entries, I got more and more hopeful. The last page, page 16, yep-there it was. *rueful look*) Is a song claimed once done, or can there be more then one rendition of it?

I think you can feel free to do it again, Jisa (duplicates often turn up and each rendition is subtly different anyway) .... go for it!

Yes go for it!
Sometimes a song becomes the theme song for a season because it gets done by so many different seasonistas.

Bobby Vee was popular in the early 60s. He got a start when a local radio station put out a request for performers to fill the spots left by Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper after they were killed in that air crash. "More Than I Can Say" was written by Sonny Curtis and Jerry Allison of the Crickets and later recorded by Bobby Vee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom