Season 302 - Bobs & Bills

For my third and final song of this week I decided to make it a trifecta of artists our esteemed host this week has never heard of, sort of felt it was my duty to do so, but I'm sure he's heard this song before. This is one by Bill Phillips in 1970, who was a long time featured male vocalist in the Kitty Wills and Johnny Wright touring country show. Phillips had a lot of minor country hits over the years, and also did crack the top ten a few times. He's perhaps best known for cutting a song in 1966 written by a then little known 20 year old named Dolly Parton, "Put if off until tommorow", which made the top 10 for Phillips, and got Parton attention as a writer and artist. She would have made it anyways obviously, but this is what opened the door for her to get a record deal. I like this version of this classic song about a hobo paradise, though nobody even seems to realize that what it's actually about anymore. If I ever start performing in retirement homes/senior centers, I think this would be a good one to kick off a show with. Been wanting to work it up for awhile, finally did.

Last edited:
Hi Pal!
I wonder if we can only do 1.5 songs by Billy Bob Thornton (No relation).

Hey folks -
I've been so busy I just haven't had the time to be part of the family for some twenty seasons or so, but I'm hoping that this week I may be able to "bob" up... (actually the two I'm thinking of are both "Billys")

cheers!

This one goes out to Mrs RABB. She's going through some stuff at the moment that's putting a massive strain on her and there's absolutely sod all I can do to make it better right now and that kills me because I'd do any of the things in this song in a heartbeat.

It's by Billie Holliday. Obviously I've done some swapping of pronouns.

.............a performance with a uke group at an anti-fracking benefit evening, .............

Good for you Steve.
Fracking - now there's a dumb idea for you. Injecting chemicals into the substrata to release the gases it contains - and the gas always go the way they want - right.
Just the name sounds wrong!

In 1954 Sam Phillips of Sun Studios teams Elvis up with local musicians Scotty Moore (guitar) and Bill Black (bass) to see if they together can come up with something worthwhile.............the guys break into a sped-up version of Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup's "That's All Right" ...........the rest is history.

Good for you Steve.
Fracking - now there's a dumb idea for you. Injecting chemicals into the substrata to release the gases it contains - and the gas always go the way they want - right.
Just the name sounds wrong!

They are preparing to drill about 20 miles from here. Every village & town council for miles around voted against it. But the County Council had the final say and voted in favour, despite thousands of letters from objectors (and a handful in favour - but none of those from the village itself). A protest camp has sprung up outside the site, and some of my uke friends go there every week to play a few songs to raise the spirits.

They are preparing to drill about 20 miles from here. Every village & town council for miles around voted against it. But the County Council had the final say and voted in favour, despite thousands of letters from objectors (and a handful in favour - but none of those from the village itself). A protest camp has sprung up outside the site, and some of my uke friends go there every week to play a few songs to raise the spirits.
Well done mate, the minuscule amount of gas that fracking produces does not warrant the injecting of toxic chemicals being pumped beneath our feet !!
You would think these 'fracking Idiots' would learn by now by the amount of destruction caused to the planet above ground with similar bright Ideas!!

Last edited:
Here's my 3 bobs worth all at once.
Back to recording in the dark in a car park while my son is at Explorers.

As I said in the video...can't believe I even tried this, so apologies to one of my heroes.
In High School, I was not smart enough to understand Husker Du, so I opted for the more raucous street punk that was pretty straight-forward. In College, I felt like Sugar had probably recorded the perfect pop song...it wasn't really until thirties that I really "got" what Bob Mould was all about, and then I saw him live. Even if loud guitar rock is not your thing, do your self the favor. The mans leaves a part of himself on the stage every time he plays, and it is really beautiful to watch. I honestly I have never seen anything like it, and likely never will again.
In any event- I Don't Know You Anymore, Cloverdaled all up, by Bob Mould.

I couldn't let a "Bob" season go by without a song by one of the greatest songwriters ever: Bob McDill. Recorded by Crystal Gayle. I used ChordPulse again because I really wanted to keep that descending bass line. Also some melodica and vocal overdubs.

Oh, yes, indeed ....BOBBBBB!!!!
TNgn8Rg.gif

ok one man and his uke did a WONDERFUL cover of the original billy bragg song, "a new england"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgejIWbEOz4

i LOVE this song, and thought i'd bring the kirsty maccoll version too, which is the same song, but from the girl's perspective, billy wrote two extra verses for kirsty for this

I wanted to jump in on Sunday so bad, but I've been fighting a nasty cold. My lungs/throat still can't handle playing harmonica, but I came up with three shorter Dylan songs for this week.

Spanish Harlem Incident - Bob Dylan

Top Bottom