Season 302 - Bobs & Bills

I'm a big Bob Luman fan, and I think he's been largely sadly forgotten because he died in his early 40's in 1978, and never had many big hits, but he was called a "Poor mans Elvis", and was expert at both rockabilly and country music, possessed a very powerful voice, and was loaded with dynamic stage presence. I've never done one of his songs, so this was a good opportunity to correct that. This song reached #23 on the country charts for him in 1969. I love this song anyhow, just sounds like a hit to me. It's been recorded by a lot of people over the years including the Bee Gees, Dusty Springfield, and many others.

I've long been a fan of "Whispering" Bill Anderson, and this is one of his lesser known songs, but I like it, and have been wanting to try it for awhile, so here it is.

That's ten entries in the first four hours, by eight different Bob/Bills and six Seasonistas. Good going!

Season 302. Submission 1. "Last Train To Clarksville" (Written by Bobby Hart and Tommy Boyce, 1966)

This one was first recorded by The Monkees and then years later magnificently interpreted by the great jazz singer, Cassandra Wilson.

Though we've not too long ago had a Monkees Season, I've never tried this one before. I hope that you enjoy it, Steve.

Thank you very much for hosting and your fantastic theme.

Great entries so far!

I had no idea how popular Billy Bragg was until I saw this thread! But allow me to be Captain Predictable and go with the one everyone else has studiously avoided so far...

Somebody had to. You knew it was coming.

Sparky

Hey folks -
I've been so busy I just haven't had the time to be part of the family for some twenty seasons or so, but I'm hoping that this week I may be able to "bob" up... (actually the two I'm thinking of are both "Billys")

cheers!

Is it that long?! Glad you have found your way back. Hope you do find the time to bring us a Billy or two.

Hey folks -
I've been so busy I just haven't had the time to be part of the family for some twenty seasons or so, but I'm hoping that this week I may be able to "bob" up... (actually the two I'm thinking of are both "Billys")

cheers!
Great to see you back Brian, I've definitely missed your Input mate.

Cheers for hosting this one Steve, I got one winging its way over any mo now ......................

An unmistakably penned Lennon/McCartney choon given to Billy J Kramer ..........

Here's some Bill Monroe for starters. I'm not really into Bluegrass but it's pretty close to folk so I'll go for this one.

It was originally written as a slowish waltz but was recorded by Elvis at the famous Sun Sessions as an up tempo number. Later Bill Monroe took to playing it as he originally wrote it then upping the tempo so I've done the same but then slowed it back down to finish.

As I don't anywhere near Kentucky the pictures I've used are some I took in Wasdale in the English Lake District.

The first couple of times I heard this song I swore it was Ringo. It wasn't (Billy Swan's only hit), but it was a catchy tune -- even if the riff really is repetitive.

Easy to play on the ukulay-lay.

Top Bottom