First Ukulele - Help me buy one

Yeah and if you have long fingers you might want to try a tenor. My first uke was a tenor, but with no experience I found it to be way too big for my hands. It sounds great but it just sits until I get rid of it because I can't play it.
Like everyone else says, go try one if you can, listen to clips on internet (though the sound isn't always great). I would think big hands would rule a soprano out for you.

If I were advising someone on a first uke right now I'd be very tempted to suggest Enya. That's because most people buy a uke and never really learn to play it. I bought three solid top tenors when they appeared on Amazon for something like $25 each. They are well built, sound pretty darn good and -- most importantly -- are set-up properly (which totally surprised me). I make ukuleles, and it always surprises me that so many folks can't get the set-up right at the factory. It's not rocket science. Each of the three Enyas features a straight fretboard, level frets and spot on clearance at the 1 and 12 fret. Somebody is paying attention.

Even at the regular price (which is still sub-$100) they are a real deal. Having said all that, they could crank out a batch of bad ones at some point.

If you're sure -- really sure -- that you're going to stick with it and still be playing in six months, buy something from either Hawaii Music Supply (aka the Ukulele Site) or MIM (on Ebay). Both will be sure to ship you a decent instrument that is properly set-up. You can call either of them and talk to a real person who will likely give you sound advice. Music stores -- even those with lots of ukes -- can be hit or miss on the whole set-up issue, not to mention often knowing nothing about what they sell. Andrew (at HMS) and Mim are real people who really care about the instruments they sell and the folks who play them. You'll find lots of folks on this forum who feel that they've earned our respect and support.

Thanks All for the responses. Did not expect so many responses. Really appreciate that.
I did an Hands-on experience( that's what they called in my field lol ) on Kala Ka-c , Cordobo 15 CM .I loved the satin matte finish on Cordobo and thought to buy it at first glance. Although upon playing , i loved the sound quality of KALA and got biased towards it. Overall the hold , play-ability and the wood quality i found better that Kala offers.
I may go and buy Kala Ka-c but will explore more options in this weekend before making a final call.

I sent you a PM. I hope you are still making that big decision.
PS: Check out the Leho arch back concerts, all laminate models are within your budget.

Last edited:
Top Bottom