E string goes flat

Ziret

Reaction score
The E string on my Kiwaya soprano uke goes flat while playing within minutes of being tuned. It has friction tuners, which I have tightened a bit more than I have on the other strings. I'm pretty accustomed to friction tuners, and these are Gotoh, so I don't think it's the tuner, I think it's the string, as the problem came up after a string change. But before I change strings, is there anything else I should be looking at? And is it possible that it isthe string? Thanks for any help.

Teri

And is it possible that it isthe string?

Well... it could be. I haven't had this happen where the string goes flat - rather the opposite, that it goes sharp - but I do know from experience that it's possible to get a bum string every now and then. The only other thing that I can think of is that the string isn't securely fastened to the peg and is slipping, which I've had happen as well, but I think you would have noticed this immediately when you changed strings.

I would swap E and G string and see what happens. I think the problem is just E string itself.

New strings are always going flat for a while before settling down and holding tune. I'd hate to see you with Nylguts. They take forever to settle and hold tune.

If they are new strings, then most likely they are just settling in.
Check your knot or tie and the bridge for slippage. Also make sure you only have two or three wraps on the post. If you have any overwraps it will cause slippage. Check to see if you have any string slippage on the post.

They've been on a couple of months.
Good idea ZZ.
Sailing, the tie is fine. No over wraps. How would I know it's slipping at the post?
Jane, yes probably it's the string.
All good ideas, thanks.

Problem solved. Face red. We shall speak of this no more.

Problem solved. Face red. We shall speak of this no more.

Now you got me curious. Please share, perhaps it will prevent others from having the same problem.

We all make mistakes. Errare humanum est.

Keith, it wasn't the strings stretching. They've been in there a couple of months.

Rakelele, so you won't be satisfied unless I publicly humiliate myself? ��

They are friction tuners. I did tighten the screw, really I did. Just not as much as was needed. Sorry to bother everyone. Now move along, nothing to see here.

They are friction tuners. I did tighten the screw, really I did. Just not as much as was needed. Sorry to bother everyone. Now move along, nothing to see here.
Hey Ziret. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all. I've been there and done that stressing over friction tuners too. There was always a fine line in getting them tight enough, but not so tight that they're really hard to turn. Now I won't even use them. I install gears if a uke comes with friction. I'm glad you got the problem solved. I also know it's not a set it and leave it kind of thing with friction tuners. At various times you'll have to re-adjust the tension screws. Weather changes, just normal use, etc. can have an effect.

Hey Ziret. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all. I've been there and done that stressing over friction tuners too. There was always a fine line in getting them tight enough, but not so tight that they're really hard to turn. Now I won't even use them. I install gears if a uke comes with friction. I'm glad you got the problem solved. I also know it's not a set it and leave it kind of thing with friction tuners. At various times you'll have to re-adjust the tension screws. Weather changes, just normal use, etc. can have an effect.

Thanks. Yeah, I know. In the year or so that I've had this uke, it's the first time I had any issues, so aside from the embarrassment, that's not too bad. I can see how you'd not want them, though. I've got UPTs on my concert and they're sweet. I think they'd look ginormous on the back of my soprano, though I probably wouldn't turn them down if they were free! I'm not religious about friction tuners--at all, but they sure are nice when it comes time to change strings!

Top Bottom