Pono PC5 mango tenor pineapple vs Kala tri back tenor

jp.vanirsel@gmail.com

Reaction score
Last edited:
If you have the ability to try them both out, I suggest getting the one that feels and plays and sounds best to you. There’s a big difference in not only shape, but price. You’re comparing apples to oranges in many respects, so factor that in along with how soon you plan to upgrade, etc. I’m not familiar with the Pono Pro Classic series, but I’m pretty sure the price difference is there for a reason. It doesn’t mean however, that you won’t prefer the Kala. It’s a different shape and will have a different feel. They're both good instruments. In terms of overall quality, the Pono may have the edge, but it really amounts to what feels and plays best to you.

Yes, these two models are very different from each other, way beyond the obvious differences in appearance and price. So you should also ask yourself what sound it is that you are looking for. Spruce has very different tonal qualities than Mango. I would say that with the Mango Pineapple - I have one -, you'll get a bit more of a traditional Ukulele sound. Overall, I'm much more convinced by Pono's consistent quality (I have owned nine) than by Kala's (bought four). Moreover, 500 Euro for a Pro Classic model is an awesome price. perhaps the best deal you will ever come across for such a high quality instrument.

I love the pineapple for its resonance. I have two different ones in the soprano size and am always delighted by the tone. That is not to say that I do not delight in my traditionally shaped instruments. I have recently been playing at church with my tenor and am hoping to collect the funds to find a tenor pineapple when in Hawaii early next year. It is all, however, in the end a personal and subjective decision. If I were in your position I would go straight for the Pono, however I am not you.

Top Bottom