Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soundhole sniffing...

Default Soundhole sniffing...

Maybe this is a slightly strange topic, but I find myself doing this regularly and I find it ever so enjoyable. Every time I take a ukulele out of its case the first thing I do is take a nice full inhale while sniffing the soundhole and appreciate the wonderfully woody aromas inside.

Sometimes I do it in between practice numbers too...

Solid Koa smells the best of the limited ukes I have available for sniffing. It has a sweet and tangy earthy flavor.

Solid Mahogany smells very nice too, a kind of salty piney flavor.

Anybody else share this habit? Which of your soundholes smells nicest? How does it smell to you?

Just say no.

If it is too late, you could check out your local chapter of ukaholics anonymous. We are here to support you in your recovery. Take it one day at a time.

It sure is strange, but I find myself oddly tempted to do the same...
    Tenor:
    Mya Moe Classic Koa #2052

Concert:
    Hoffmann ML Style Cedar/Ebony, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C Mahogany/Spruce, , Knaile'a KPA C Premium Koa, Kiwaya KMC-K Koa, Pono RC-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood, Kala Waterman KA CWB Green

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:
    Lanikai LU-21 Laminate Mahogany (My Very First Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary Koa, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire" Koa, Romero Creations XS Soprano Spalted Mango, Ohana SK 50G Cedar/Rosewood, Kala KA ASAC-S Acacia

I’ll admit to it...only with my Martin. Someone said there is a Martin smell...and they were right. There is nothing else like it...and I would tell anyone that owns one to actually smell the instrument. My S1 is Mahogany.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    Just say no.

If it is too late, you could check out your local chapter of ukaholics anonymous. We are here to support you in your recovery. Take it one day at a time.
    I'm already in a 12-Uke program I sniff soundholes too, and consider it just another way to enjoy a nice uke.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 11-28-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

This needs to be a sticky. I have thus far refrained from such a delicacy, however I’ve been biding my time for a thread like this to come along during the holiday season. Cognac in one hand, a fine cigar in the other, and a soundhole aromatique. “Pardon me, would you have any...soundhole?”
    Last edited by Peace Train; 11-27-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I’ll admit to it...only with my Martin. Someone said there is a Martin smell...and they were right. There is nothing else like it...and I would tell anyone that owns one to actually smell the instrument. My S1 is Mahogany.
    Yes! I love the Martin smell. I've noticed it can be found with various models of their ukes and guitars regardless of the main wood used. Some claim it's the type of wood kerfing used on the inside build or the bracing...but I don't know. I just know it smells good.

yes, but I'm seeking help.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Oh Heck! Now we move from playability, looks, sounds, to stench.......

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    Yes! I love the Martin smell. I've noticed it can be found with various models of their ukes and guitars regardless of the main wood used. Some claim it's the type of wood kerfing used on the inside build or the bracing...but I don't know. I just know it smells good.
    Must be the kerfing and or the bracing because the OXK smells great too.
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Thread Information