Soundhole sniffing...

I did some "sniffing" of my Martin ukes in my review videos of Martins! hehe

There is a bit of a glue aspect to it.

Petey

I think glue is a factor in the smell in some guitars/ukes. Every high-end guitar I've smelled, regardless of maker, has smelled the same. Almost like a cinnamon/vanilla-ish smell. They've been all different woods and makers (so presumably different brace woods/kerfing as well), so I'm wondering if it's hide glue? Whatever it is, it smells amazing.

The Martin Sinker Mahogany definitely has a distinct smell to it, a kind of charred peppery smell. Seriously! I challenge any Sinker owner to prove me wrong.

What the.....! :LOL:

In my former life, I was in the medical field. The olfactory sense, smell, is maybe our most powerful sense. Smells can take you back years and years. It’s very powerful.
I sniff my wooden instruments, koa being a fav as is rosewood. I also love to sniff books, maybe why I could never get into kindles, and what man who played building forts as a kid isn’t transported back to those halcyon days when he passes a construction site with fresh lumber? Many a patient has recovered from a coma and reported the phenomenon of not being able to see or hear, but the olfactory sense was working overtime. So indeed, life is short, make sure to smell the roses, AND the ukuleles!

In almost 50 years of playing guitar, never have I heard of sniffing the soundhole. Come to UU and the topic comes up quite a bit. What's wrong with you people?

I find myself exceedingly thankful that the subject matter of this thread is not bicycle seats. :ROFLMAO:
Not surprisingly, my Amazon- ordered kit uke (Yowling Tom) smells a bit like a Big River.

In almost 50 years of playing guitar, never have I heard of sniffing the soundhole. Come to UU and the topic comes up quite a bit. What's wrong with you people?
Too bad, you missed out! As a long time guitarist pre-uke, I loved sniffing guitar soundoles too. Lots of different aromas from the different tonewoods. Why do you think they call it rosewood? Sniffing old vintage ukes like Martins takes me back in time, like memories of your grandmother's house when you were a small child.

Too bad, you missed out! As a long time guitarist pre-uke, I loved sniffing guitar soundoles too. Lots of different aromas from the different tonewoods. Why do you think they call it rosewood? Sniffing old vintage ukes like Martins takes me back in time, like memories of your grandmother's house when you were a small child.
You mean old ukes smell like boiled cabbage and Ben Gay? :LOL:

Dog sniffs another dogs butt - "hey that smells like a ukulele sound hole "

Sniffing the sound hole is kind of weird, seems too dog like to me...

Yet another reason to get a custom uke. Real wood smells awesome. Sometimes I can even smell the aromatics when playing; I don't know if it is the friction of playing but something gets the smell going. I remember even sniffing my hand after playing my walnut neck custom and appreciating the smell. I liken it to my beard oil. I make my own and I cannot give you the exact recipe because then everyone's facial hair would be egregiously outstanding and that would make my stocks plummet...however I can tell you I use cedar oil and sandalwood oil. Wood is good.

Top Bottom