Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strings and Volume

Unfortunately it's not so simple as "High Tension More Sound" . . there's such a thing as too much tension too, which can prevent the soundboard from vibrating fully.

The only way to know what you and your uke prefer--ukes differ in what strings they like--is to try a bunch and see.
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Aquila Nygut)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone: Kala KA-SBG (C: Southcoast LL-NW, A: TBD)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG Aquila Nygut

Jan, one way to get more of your uke's volume to your ears is with a side sound port. One of my ukes has one, and I perceive it to be louder than my others. My luthier actually "built" one into another uke that came to me without one.
    Here are some pictures:
    http://www.griffinukuleles.com/blog/side-sound-ports
    http://www.beauhannamguitars.com/Side-Sound-Port.html
    Last edited by Nickie; 12-22-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Default Strings and Volume

Great idea, Nickie. Thanks for the suggestion!

[QUOTE=Nickie;2024915]
    Jan, one way to get more of your uke's volume to your ears is with a side sound port. One of my ukes has one, and I perceive it to be louder than my others. My luthier actually "built" one into another uke that came to me without one.

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    fluorocarbon strings sure sound louder to me, not sure it's a brain deception LOL...
    That’s my experience too. I have two near identical Ukes one of which has Martin 600’s (fluorocarbon) on it and the other standard Aquila’s, to my ear the Martin’s are louder and brighter than the Aquila’s. Perhaps that’s a subjective assessment but I’m sure that I’m not alone in finding it.

The Martins are my usual preference but the Aquila’s are good strings and liked by many, I tend to prefer using the Aquilas in the evening and night when the ‘house’ is quiet or sleeping.

I haven't tried Worth Clears but the D'Addario Carbons EJ-99s are ~$7, nice and bright and plenty loud. Easier to get than Living Water too. Fremont Blacklines are also very nice F-Cs too. The F-Cs aren't as 'brash' as Aquila NylGuts and help my poor hearing too.

Quote Originally Posted by cdkrugjr View Post
    Unfortunately it's not so simple as "High Tension More Sound" . . there's such a thing as too much tension too, which can prevent the soundboard from vibrating fully.
    I’d be interested to hear more about that, ways to understand and manage the issue would be welcome too though I’d prefer not to have to do it by trial and error.

Thread Information