Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: open tunings

The tuning suggested by DownUpDick is an open C tuning. It's similar to guitar Spanish tuning, capoed up to 5. Spanish tuning is named for a tune called Spanish Fandango that is played in this tuning. I like this for slide. (I would describe it as tuning the first string down a tone rather than up.)
    Guitarists call open D tuning "Vastopol" (Named for the tune The Siege Of Sevastopol) adapted to the uke by moving it up 5 frets, it would become open G: GBDG
    Actually, our standard tuned ukes are open tuned to either C6 (root on the 3rd string) or Ami7 (root on the first string)

If you're interested in exploring a variety of open tunings on the uke, I recommend Open Tunings for Ukulele by Ondrej Sarek. Each tunin is presented with some basic chords and/or song tab.
    Playlists: Me and My Ukulele | Chordious 2 Tutorials
    Primary Ukes: Black Bear #146 Baritone DGBd | KoAloha KCM-00 Concert gcea | Kamaka HP-1 Pineapple Soprano gcea
    Others: Lanikai LU-11 Soprano | Kamaka White-Label HF-1 Soprano | Kala KA-BE Baritone | Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Guitar
    For Sale: Kamaka HF-38 Liliu VIII | KoAloha KTM-06 Imaikalani

Quote Originally Posted by JonThysell View Post
    If you're interested in exploring a variety of open tunings on the uke, I recommend Open Tunings for Ukulele by Ondrej Sarek. Each tunin is presented with some basic chords and/or song tab.
    Thanks a lot for that recommendation. So far I have been rather timid in my open tunings, sticking to G and A because I am not very good and those tunings make sense to me visually since the intervals are in a nice 1-3-5 order. Hopefully Sarek's book can encourage me outside my comfort zone.

Thread Information