Is this a damage?

bevans

Reaction score
Hey,

I just purchased a uke thats going to be a gift (when the seller finally ships it). The Sailor jerry uke was listed in Mint condition but after looking back at the pics im seeing some "marks" around the front of the bottom of the bridge. Im not sure if this is the grain of the wood or a defect/imperfection/damage. Ive stared at images of this model online and cant find these marks on any other models.

Can someone please help me out and let me know if this looks ok to you?
I'd hate to give a gift that was damaged.

Ive tried to post a pic but it keeps saying wrong file extension... Ive converted the webp to jpg.. i dont know what else to do..

Anyway here is the link to the ended auction, the pics are still there.

Thanks

https://reverb.com/item/7362415-lanikai-lusj-c-concert-mahogany-sailor-jerry-ukulele

I'm not sure if I see what you mean. I see the white marks which are the paint from whatever the uke is painted with. I also see a lot of grain patterns on it. Can you be more specific of where you're looking? I'm looking directly under the bridge.

sure, sorry..

When looking at the first pic there appears to be some lines (kinda runningup and down) in the wood located above the bridge on the right side of the bridge.. Another way of describing it is, the "marks" are bounded on the bottom by the bridge, the right by the olive branch and on the left by the wing.

or

if the uke was horizontal the area in question would be below the bottom string and just tothe right of the bridge.

Last edited:
I can barely get the seller to respond... this is the first time ive used that site. The seller rules state that sellers are required to ship within 3 business days. I purchased this Saturday and the seller hasnt shipped yet. I'm a little nervous... if it doesnt ship tomorrow, Im going to try and get a refund. But I would really like this uke as a gift for my tattoo artist.

I'm not sure if I see what you mean. I see the white marks which are the paint from whatever the uke is painted with. I also see a lot of grain patterns on it. Can you be more specific of where you're looking? I'm looking directly under the bridge.

sorry, above the bridge on the right side of the bridge.

I see what appears to be grain running perpendicular to the bridge. It might be something else, but I don't know. You'll be able to tell when it arrives.

I think the bottom line is this: you purchased it, and the seller will ship it. If it arrives damaged you can take it up with Reverb. If it arrives undamaged you'll be happy. I don't believe now is the time to change your mind based upon an indistinct photograph (i.e.; too late for that).

I bet you'll be happy. I'll bet the gift recipient will also be happy.

Thanks.. it puts me at ease that it doesnt jump out at you guys as damage. I have no experience with ukuleles at all and just needed some reassurance. Ive been looking for this model for about 4 months and the day this was listed I saw "mint condition" and jumped on it, it wasnt until later I realized the seller has no feedback, and joined that day. Hopefully the seller ships soon and all will be well.

Those look like wood grain lines to me, too, bevans. What a thoughtful gift for your friend! Fingers crossed it all works out well for you. :)

I’m of the view that the Uke looks OK too and am just wondering about three things:
# Isn’t thus a laminate Uke (?) and so most unlikely to have a crack in/through it - if it is even possible at all.
# Are we not really looking at a roughish wooden surface that has been painted but still has ‘character’ grain marks visible?
# If there was crack damage then wouldn’t there be just one line (I don’t think that cracks are normally next to each other) and a longer one at that?

I’m of the view that the Uke looks OK too and am just wondering about three things:
# Isn’t thus a laminate Uke (?) and so most unlikely to have a crack in/through it - if it is even possible at all.
# Are we not really looking at a roughish wooden surface that has been painted but still has ‘character’ grain marks visible?
# If there was crack damage then wouldn’t there be just one line (I don’t think that cracks are normally next to each other) and a longer one at that?

It’s a solid mohagany uke

I can’t tell about the surface when I google the model LUSJ-C the images look pretty smooth to me but I’m viewing on a laptop.

Not sure, that’s why I was asking here.

I got a response this morning that it has shipped so I should have it Wednesday ... I’ll follow up with how it looks.

Thanks again everyone.

It’s a solid mohagany uke...

Uhm, sorry to burst the bubble, but IIRC these sold for ~$99 brand new from sites like Elderly, etc, so unless it's some slight-of-hand I would double-check elsewhere as it is HIGHLY unlikely to get an all-solid, or even solid-top uke at this price.

here is the full-size image linked directly from the Reverb page, and it seems to me just like others have said to be the grain-lines in the wood, and does not 'seem' to be a crack, but I could be wrong.

If you right-click on this image below and then select 'VIEW IMAGE' in the little pop-up menu and then click on the picture after it loads, it will zoom in to 100% resolution (and you will have to scroll to see the entire picture) bit this is the highest level of detail you will get on any device without doing more than 100% zoom (which on Mac you can do with CMD and + keys or on Windows/Linux with CTRL and + keys)

ltrsrrohukctzmnocytv.jpg

Hope this helps!

Uhm, sorry to burst the bubble, but IIRC these sold for ~$99 brand new from sites like Elderly, etc, so unless it's some slight-of-hand I would double-check elsewhere as it is HIGHLY unlikely to get an all-solid, or even solid-top uke at this price.

here is the full-size image linked directly from the Reverb page, and it seems to me just like others have said to be the grain-lines in the wood, and does not 'seem' to be a crack, but I could be wrong.

If you right-click on this image below and then select 'VIEW IMAGE' in the little pop-up menu and then click on the picture after it loads, it will zoom in to 100% resolution (and you will have to scroll to see the entire picture) bit this is the highest level of detail you will get on any device without doing more than 100% zoom (which on Mac you can do with CMD and + keys or on Windows/Linux with CTRL and + keys)

ltrsrrohukctzmnocytv.jpg

Hope this helps!

Thanks that does help... and no bubble to burst, as I said I know nothing about ukes, I saw on Lanikai site it did solid mohagany... maybe that’s just the body.. anyway, doesn’t matter this was bought just becaus did the sailor jerrry flash art and will probably just be a display piece.

Thanks again for that pic.

Thanks that does help... and no bubble to burst, as I said I know nothing about ukes, I saw on Lanikai site it did solid mohagany... maybe that’s just the body.. anyway, doesn’t matter this was bought just becaus did the sailor jerrry flash art and will probably just be a display piece.

Thanks again for that pic.

Booli follows up where I left off an made a much better job than I of getting to the heart of the matter. I too am sorry to burst your bubble and think you a kind and thoughtful person to be giving this to a friend.

“Bearing the traditional flash art of Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins, this all-mahogany ukulele pays homage to the Hawaiian legend and father of Traditional American Tattooing.” Is the description I find at Musicians Friend: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...-lusj-c-sailor-jerry-mahogany-concert-ukulele .

I think it trickery to mislead the imperfectly informed in that ‘all mahogany’ implies but is not ‘solid mahogany’, take ‘all mahogany’ to be the finish or veneer. My suspicion is that the Sailor Uke is some special addition based on a variant of their LU 21 series; the LU21C is an OK instrument, with a good set-up and decent strings it could give someone a lot of musical pleasure - or they could just enjoy the artwork and take pleasure from your kind act.

Last edited:
Fun fact Sailor Jerry Collins would leave things out of his flash art to see who would tattoo say a girl with no nose or a hula girl with one leg.

Top Bottom