Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martin C1K Review - Quality Control Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I was just noticing that Mim’s, the Uke Republic, and The Ukulele Site do not carry Martin. I wonder if that says something about their opinion about Martin ukuleles, or if Martin requires dealers to carry too much inventory.
    [/I]
    Not entirely sure but you might be on to something there. I know for certain that small dealers (ukulele or guitar dealers, or both) can no longer carry Epiphone or Fender ukuleles because both brands insist that they carry not only significant stocks, but also a range of their instruments - for example, you can only carry Epiphone if you also stock some Gibsons. It totally prices out smaller retailers.

That said - places like SUS in the UK are NOT huge businesses - yet they regularly stock Martin.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

The only small independent dealer I know of here in northern California that carries Martin ukes is Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto (a great store for acoustic guitars). But they carry the full line of Martin acoustic guitars - it's a virtual Martin paradise. The Martin ukes I've looked at there were, in my opinion, nothing special. The MIM (Made In Mexico) ones were just average in fit and finish. Then there is a huge premium for the USA-made. There was nothing wrong with the playability or tone of any of them. From my experience in the guitar world, there are those that just must have a Martin, and those like me who wouldn't touch one. You pay your money and you take your chances.

The big box stores run on volume, and returns are just figured into the business model. They are profitable and are not going to change their practices.

My best experience has been with Hawaii Music Supply. If I lived in HI, like Alohakine, I'd go see them in person and choose the exact uke I wanted. And as others have pointed out, they don't carry Martin.

Martin requires dealers to buy all kinds of none instrument items not only the guitars/ukes so you have to do as they want or you can not sell the intruments...not sure why they make this rule?

Andrew at Hawaii Music Supply sends back many many ukes(even expensive ones) as their normal setups are done on all the ukes they send out so if a company sends ukes that require more than normal amount of work on it they get rejected or he stops carrying the brand all together...

another strange thread from Alohakine....at the end he is capping on a uke/company/dealer as usual... IMO but since he has Martin's ear maybe they will change.....
    Last edited by hawaii 50; 12-16-2017 at 07:52 AM.
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Booli, sorry to hear, and I did talk to an exec level staff member about suggestions, and to be honest, it's all good, I'm not mad or anything, hope no one reading the post was thinking this.

SamAsh has been great to be honest, all the staff I have spoken to on the phone really helpful, and I just scored a killer deal this time on a Kala Elite Concert, which I hope is going to be good, I can't imagine a bad Kala out of California, seeing all the Chinese ones I've seen in the past that were really nice.

It's just because I've gotten such amazing deals from SamAsh is why I purchased from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Threads like these are pretty confusing, especially for readers who happen to stumble upon them via search engine looking for impartial reviews on what and where to buy. Wasn't the original post more like "what a great uke", and "what a great deal"? And now it's a total 180? To be honest, I was sceptical about both endorsements, so I'm not surprised about the flip-flop. Don't you wonder why most stores dedicated to the ukulele don't have Martin in their lineup?
    Sorry, I did say in the post that I was excited and not paying attention to the Ukes when I did the original post and I did mention all this in the original post, so I thought I made all that clear for everyone to understand it was a mistake on my part....

Martin has a name, and history I'm not going to deny, hopefully it was just a rare thing that happened.

Choirguy I did edit the post over, but I didn't make it in bold, the title of the post was changed, so I assumed others would read and see the changes, but I went back and made the top bold.

By the way SamAsh didn't have a big order from Martin when I placed my order, they told me it was just a small order they placed from Martin.

It would be interesting to ask the other dealers why they don't carry Martin, if it's because they have to buy their guitars too, especially someone as big as the Ukulele Site in Hawaii, when they have carried a lot of brands over the years.
    Last edited by AlohaKine; 12-16-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 50 View Post
    another strange thread from Alohakine....
    Hawaii 50, may I ask you to stop using the above line when commenting on Alohakine's posts? This is not the first time I have seen this and it is a borderline violation of rule #1.
    -Andy

YouTube|Twitter|E-Mail|The Blog|Facebook
    They're all snipes. Usually Seeso snipes them. He just tried it but didn't get it. HA! -sukie
    Katie replied, "You poho people are like drug addicts and you're each others drugs".- salukulady

Thread Information